SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › My 4th of July Brisket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My 4th of July Brisket

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I didn't plan on smoking this weekend, but there was this brisket in the freezer that was twisting my arm. I also decided to experiment with some ABT's. I had three kinds of meat: Pulled Pork, Andouille and Shrimp....well 2 meats and a seafood for you critics,,,LOL!! I also tried 4 different cheeses: Feta, Smoked Gouda (store bought), Sharp Cheddar and Mozzarella. Any way here is a little Qview!!

 

Scored brisket fat cap to have rub penetrate:

2010-07-03 20.22.24.jpg

 

Brisket about 2 hours in and just put ABT's and Stuffed Mushrooms on.2010-07-04 14.07.15.jpg

 

Mushrooms and ABT's are off after 2 hours

2010-07-04 15.41.44.jpg

 

Close up of ABT's and Mushrooms for the Drool Factor!!

2010-07-04 15.42.01.jpg

2010-07-04 15.42.10.jpg

 

Slicing the Brisket:

2010-07-04 17.26.33.jpg

2010-07-04 17.40.35.jpg

 

This is the point which I will cube up for Man Candy later:

2010-07-04 17.27.11.jpg

 

Well there you have it gang. I didn't take too many pics because when I was cleaning the Jalapeno's I didn't put on a glove and my hand suffered the consequences, let this be a lesson learned, always wear gloves when cleaning any kind of Hot Pepper.

 

Thanks for looking!!

post #2 of 16

Ouch !

 

You were right, I was fighting off my drool reflex, and losing the battle. Then you had to go and throw in the close-up!

 

There ought to be a LAW !!!!

 

Awesome eats,

Bear

post #3 of 16

That brisket looks mighty tasty!  Shrooms and ABTs are always great too!  Thanks for sharing the Qview!  

post #4 of 16

wow that all looks good and great smoke ring

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Ouch !

 

If your refering to the Jalapeno incident, I was saying that everytime I had to handle the brisket. And that was with heat resistant gloves on. I'll never do that again, I promise.
post #6 of 16

come on man, can a brotha get a invite. that looks delicious. I'm loving that ABT holder. I had my first ABT's yesterday and I must say they will be on my next smoking menu

post #7 of 16

Yum, that all looks good.  I have to try me some of the mushrooms, love mushrooms and haven't done those yet!  

post #8 of 16

Finally got the Reply box to stay long enough to get the cursor into it.

 

 

Hey Bayou,

I forgot to mention---I love those "Turned" toothpicks! Must have taken forever to turn them individually on a little tiny lathe.

 

 

Bear

post #9 of 16

Mind me asking how you went about your brisket? Tips, techniques? My first wasn't too good, but I now know to use a whole packer instead of a trimmed piece of flat. 

 

 

Thanks!

post #10 of 16

how do you make your man candy i know u used the point buy what do u do to it

post #11 of 16

Man oh Man you made me drooling puddles in my office now. The brisket looks awesome and I really like them mushrooms are to die for. Now you really did one fine job there Chet. You also have to watch them japs when making them too. You don't wash your hands really good or wearing gloves you wouldn't do that many times let me tell you. Believe me I know

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLbobecu View Post

Mind me asking how you went about your brisket? Tips, techniques? My first wasn't too good, but I now know to use a whole packer instead of a trimmed piece of flat. 

 

 

Thanks!


No problem! Here is the procedure I do. Take brisket out of package, rinse with water to get excess blood and stuff off. Then pat dry with paper towels. Next apply the rub of your choice (many recipes on the internet, you can mix and match ingredients) and wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge over night or at least 2 hours. Remove from fridge and bring to room temperature (a couple of hours should do). Put brisket in smoker and let her go. If you have an offset put the point (thick part) toward the firebox as it will take to longest to get to temp. If not offset and upright like MES it doesn't matter. You want the smoker temperature to be between 225 and 250, and add the smoking chunks/chips of your choice (Pecan, Apple, Peach, Hickory Etc.) about every hour depending on how fast they burn up.  I spray mine with apple juice about every 45 min. or so, others may do different. You can plan on cooking it for around 10 hours or so depending on the size/weight. To slice you want an internal temp of 180 deg. to pull you want 190 - 195 deg. I know some may disagree with some of my input here, but it has worked for me and as long as the end result makes your Tummy Happy who cares!! I hope this helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

 

BCH

 


 

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post

how do you make your man candy i know u used the point buy what do u do to it



I bring the brisket up to 180 deg. (for slicing) and seperate the point from the flat. Then I cube the point into about 1 1/14" cubes, apply more rub to them (put rub in bowl and apply like you would batter to fish) and place the back on the smoker for 2-3 hours more and spray them with apple juice to help make a bark. Some people put the BBQ sauce of their choice on them instead of rub and that works good too. Oh and the flat, either slice it up, or you can put it back on and bring it up to 190 - 195 and then pull it. I hope this answered your question.

 

BCH

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 

Now I know I'm getting old....I forgot to post pics of the Man Candy....Oops!!

2010-07-06 19.41.30.jpg

2010-07-06 19.41.56.jpg

 

Thanks again for lookin'!!

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouChilehead View Post




No problem! Here is the procedure I do. Take brisket out of package, rinse with water to get excess blood and stuff off. Then pat dry with paper towels. Next apply the rub of your choice (many recipes on the internet, you can mix and match ingredients) and wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge over night or at least 2 hours. Remove from fridge and bring to room temperature (a couple of hours should do). Put brisket in smoker and let her go. If you have an offset put the point (thick part) toward the firebox as it will take to longest to get to temp. If not offset and upright like MES it doesn't matter. You want the smoker temperature to be between 225 and 250, and add the smoking chunks/chips of your choice (Pecan, Apple, Peach, Hickory Etc.) about every hour depending on how fast they burn up.  I spray mine with apple juice about every 45 min. or so, others may do different. You can plan on cooking it for around 10 hours or so depending on the size/weight. To slice you want an internal temp of 180 deg. to pull you want 190 - 195 deg. I know some may disagree with some of my input here, but it has worked for me and as long as the end result makes your Tummy Happy who cares!! I hope this helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

 

BCH

 


 


Thanks bud! :)

post #16 of 16

Man, that's a great idea scoring the fat cap!  I am always hesitant to remove it (on brisket or butt) because I like what it does, but scoring it seems like a great way to still get some rub through there!

 

Thanks for posting.  One more thing, what did you stuff in the mushrooms? Sorry if I missed that up top.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › My 4th of July Brisket