I have been wanting to make my own salsa for a while so this weekend I put on my labcoat, pocket protector, and coke bottle glasses and began experimenting. After quite a bit of trial and error I came up with something that tastes unique and delicious so I thought I would share my first version recipe with all of my internet friends.
4 lbs roma tomatoes
1 cup sweet corn (grilled on the cob or from a can is fine)
10 green onions
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
5 tbs fresh minced garlic
2 tbs kosher salt
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp ground black pepper
This is not a quick process so if you expect to be done in a half hour, this is not for you.
- Take 1/2 of the jalapenos and tomatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membrane from the jalapenos.
- Cold smoke the jalapeno and tomato halves with mesquite for 3 hours. I use my plywood smoker with a hot plate. I put my mesquite chunks in a cast iron pan, cover with aluminum foil, and then poke holes in the foil for the smoke to escape.
- Remove the seeds and membrane from the remaining jalapenos and then finely dice both the smoked and unsmoked jalapenos and put them in a good sized bowl.
- Dice up the onions, smoked and unsmoked tomatoes and place them in the same bowl.
- Mince the garlic and cilantro and put them in the bowl.
- Pour your cup of sweet corn into the bowl.
- Juice the 3 limes into the bowl.
- Put lemon zest in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the mixture.
- Mix by hand until thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate overnight.