well first let me say happy fathers day coming up to all of the fathers.Question, I have been using lump to start my sfb smoker and I want to try charcoal to do three briskets this weekend. I filled my chimney starter to try it but it did not start like the lump. I let it sit for fifteen min. I then put it in the smoker and used fluid to get it going. What am i doing wrong. It did not light, just a very tiny bit.
Related Forum Threads
- 1st brisket on new Char Broil offset Last post on 3/27/10 at 8:06pm in Beef
- Honestly -- Electric VS Pellets Last post on 2/26/08 at 9:54pm in Electric Smokers
- Raw Lump Charcoal in Firebox Last post on 12/8/07 at 12:56am in Woods for Smoking
- Prepping Brisket Last post on 9/18/15 at 6:42am in Beef
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
Last edited: 9/22/12
- Geeks Basic BrisketLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brisket Separation TechniqueLast edited: 9/9/10
- Charcoal And Lump Chimney StarterLast edited: 4/27/11
- Red Bell Pepper Rub Naturally Sweet And Mildy Spicy No SugarLast edited: 8/28/13
I had been looking to get a smoker and was researching a few different models. My hand was forced when my grill quit working, so I ended up getting this rather quickly as a result. My rationale...
I took this back after 2 weeks. A part needed to be replaced and they sent it to me for ME to install and change out. That job is not mine for something I paid over a grande for. They finally got a...
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
charcoalpost #1 of 76/17/10 at 2:18pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 76/17/10 at 2:34pm
I just use the chimney starter and newspaper or paper towels with a little cooking oil but the charcoal from my expirence takes lttle longer to catch on good so i just leave it till i got good coals going close to the top .Oh yeah potato chips will work too wrapped in paper towels
That's how i get rid of the wifes stale onespost #3 of 76/17/10 at 3:06pmThread Starterpost #4 of 76/17/10 at 3:12pm
On the paper. I also have a small, hand held fan that I use to force more air thru the chimney after the paper burns off. It helps the coals catch a little quicker.post #5 of 76/17/10 at 3:17pm
I use coals in my chimney, I use a phone book for the starter. I take 2 pages and wad them up, I do this eight times and let it burn. Never had a problem so far.post #6 of 76/17/10 at 3:18pmThread Starterpost #7 of 76/17/10 at 3:30pmQuote:
Now thats a great idea !!!
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Geeks Basic Brisket
- › Yeti Resting 6 minutes ago
- › Beef Dino Leftovers (Breakfast, Sammies, and some “Au Jus”) 9 minutes ago
- › Chucky Burnt Ends (with Mopar Powered “Hemi” Sauce) 13 minutes ago
- › A Pair Of Spares Beats A Full House! 14 minutes ago
- › Vegetarian Pulled Pork 25 minutes ago
- › Drying trees for smoking 27 minutes ago
- › 2016 South Florida Gathering (6th Annual) November 4th-6th 29 minutes ago
- › Myron Mixon MMS-60 33 minutes ago
- › CSR's On The Kettle !! 46 minutes ago
- › BDSkelly ~ NY Strips. First Burn on the Lodge Sportsman Grill /... 53 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN TRIPLE (3) BURNER by wbf610
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ammaturesmoker
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona