Below is an amazing recipe from King Aurthur Flour. I use their Everything Bagel Topping in the dough and on the top. It goes great with a nice pulled pork. 4 days later people are still raving over the buns and it was only my first time making them. The total time was about 2 hours. It is a quick rise.
- 6 ounces lukewarm water
- 1 large egg
- 1 ounce butter or oil (2 TBS)
- 7/8 ounce sugar (2 TBS)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds or Everything Bread and Bagel Topping
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- 11 ½ ounces King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Everything Bread and Bagel Topping
- 1 large egg white, or Quick Shine spray
1) To make the dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead them, by hand, mixer, or bread machine, to make a soft dough.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for an hour, until it's almost doubled in size.
3) Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, flatten it slightly, and divide it into 6 pieces, each weighing about 3 1/2 to 4 ounces.
4) Roll each piece into a ball.
5) Place balls into the greased cups of a hamburger bun pan, flattening gently.
6) Cover and let rise until the buns have doubled in size. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
7) Bake the buns for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, brush with lightly beaten egg white (or spray with Quick Shine) and sprinkle with seed topping; do this quickly, or the seeds won't stick!
8) Return the buns to the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Edited by Biaviian - 6/16/10 at 9:59am