SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › brisket injection
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

brisket injection - Page 3

post #41 of 61

I would like to see the post you describe. I don't remember denouncing the guideline but I am getting old and forgetful. I have stated that taking it literally, Black or White, only leads to tossing perfectly good meat. Maybe that was my input...th_dunno-1[1].gif...JJ

post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

I would like to see the post you describe. I don't remember denouncing the guideline but I am getting old and forgetful. I have stated that taking it literally, Black or White, only leads to tossing perfectly good meat. Maybe that was my input...th_dunno-1[1].gif...JJ

 

No Chef, I didn't mean it was you saying it. But I can't imagine you not having a dog in that fight. I seem to remember the at the end of the "discussion' it was left as "its up to you but just because its changed doesn't mean its safe". 

post #43 of 61

First time poster that has lurked to figure out I learn a little more each time I use my MES the past 3 years.  Would putting a brisket in a foil pan to steam with beef broth after the 8-10 hour mark create any safety issues similar to the injection bacteria that was shared earlier in this thread?

post #44 of 61
So is beer as the liquid for the injection a no go?
post #45 of 61

I know I have said this many, many time taste is  personal preference .  But injecting a Brisket That's a big No ,No for Texas style Brisket.

 

I know everyone has seen the BBQ shows where they are injecting all kinds of stuff. My question is Why ?? I like a brisket to have a nice meat flavor with a good crust (Bark)  If I am going to inject, braise or add all kinds of flavors I'll just cook a roast in a crock pot.

 

I am a purest when it comes to Brisket.  Take a tough piece of meat, put some salt and pepper on it and cook it low and slow till its melt in your mouth tender.

 

Just my 2 cents worth

 

Gary

post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post

I know I have said this many, many time taste is  personal preference .  But injecting a Brisket That's a big No ,No for Texas style Brisket.

I know everyone has seen the BBQ shows where they are injecting all kinds of stuff. My question is Why ?? I like a brisket to have a nice meat flavor with a good crust (Bark)  If I am going to inject, braise or add all kinds of flavors I'll just cook a roast in a crock pot.

I am a purest when it comes to Brisket.  Take a tough piece of meat, put some salt and pepper on it and cook it low and slow till its melt in your mouth tender.

Just my 2 cents worth

Gary

I 100% agree.
post #47 of 61
Eh, every now and then ill smoke it old school. But i like the results of a injected brisket as well, sometimes more. I just was curious if there are any negatives with using beer as the liquid vs water or broth. Not really sure how beer pairs with beef.
post #48 of 61

Beer pairs well with beef....   I make stew etc. and add beer in place of water...

post #49 of 61

Butchers original for competition. At home we do not inject.

post #50 of 61

I really wish KCBS and IBCA judges felt the same way. Sure seems like they've all been drifting towards that "inject the junk out of it with sweet crap and make it look purty" 

 

Even injecting ribs now out there. Sad days. I call it "bastard brisket" cook one set for the judges, another batch for the fans.

post #51 of 61
KCBS judges are trained for specific profiles. IBCA judges are just local folks the promoter chooses to judge their event. I am a certified IBCA head judge we instruct the taste judges to judge each box on its own merit. We judge each box on aroma, color, taste and texture.
post #52 of 61

I Know I sound like a broken record but I'll say it again  It's an individuals taste, and in competition you have to try to figure out what the judges like, With that being said it also depends on what part of the country you are in.  If you look at successful BBQ Joints they DON'T Inject.

 

I like my stiff simple, Like to taste the flavor of whatever meat I'm smoking. Don't Inject or use lots of strange flavors to try to Doctor up my Q.  Don't need it

 

I would like to see some competitions have everyone just use a simple rub with whatever kind of wood they prefer.

 

If you like to inject, Inject !!

 

Gary

post #53 of 61
I wish it were that simple but with a one bite judging criteria you have to have your products pop or it gets lost in the mix.
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

I Know I sound like a broken record but I'll say it again  It's an individuals taste, and in competition you have to try to figure out what the judges like, With that being said it also depends on what part of the country you are in.  If you look at successful BBQ Joints they DON'T Inject.

 

I like my stiff simple, Like to taste the flavor of whatever meat I'm smoking. Don't Inject or use lots of strange flavors to try to Doctor up my Q.  Don't need it

 

I would like to see some competitions have everyone just use a simple rub with whatever kind of wood they prefer.

 

If you like to inject, Inject !!

 

Gary

Man... for real. I'd love a "No Charcoal, Pellet grill, cheater propane system, inject and run hot" contest.

 

That's fine - we can make one for the fans and one for the "one bite and done"

post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam59 View Post

I wish it were that simple but with a one bite judging criteria you have to have your products pop or it gets lost in the mix.

 

Exactly what I said, With one bite it has to really Pop as you said. But again it depends on that judges preference in taste.

 

Just think if you leveled the playing field, Everyone had to cook the same thing, no injection and a simple rub, still one bite but wonder how that would turn out ?  If a judge likes a little sweet I'm thinking whoever used some sugar in their rub would probably get high score.

 

Anyway, not knocking BBQ comps  I love to go to them. But what you cook for competition and you cook for family and friends are usually  different.

 

All this talk of Smoking I think I'll smoke my Hotlinks Today (I made a fresh batch yesterday) and smoke a Brisket this weekend.

 

Gary

post #56 of 61

I hear you Gary. The only time we cook comp. food at home is when we practice. The idea you have was done once in Texas very strict on what to cook on and what to use. The competition failed mostly because of attendance.

post #57 of 61

I hear you, I really enjoy going to BBQ comps. Lots of great people and some Good BBQ

 

I have started a couple of times to see what I needed to do to become a judge.

 

Been smoking for over 45 years and eaten BBQ all over the U S and a few other countries

 

Gary

post #58 of 61
Where do you live Gary?
post #59 of 61

Never mind I see it on the puter now. :) 

Your'e in Region 1 are you a member of IBCA?

If you are and would like to become a judge I can talk to our judges up there and get the ball rolling.

post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam59 View Post
 

Never mind I see it on the puter now. :) 

Your'e in Region 1 are you a member of IBCA?

If you are and would like to become a judge I can talk to our judges up there and get the ball rolling.

 

I am not a member,

 

Gary

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › brisket injection