Hey guys, it is great to see all the replies and posts of other projects. I finally found some time to get out to the workshop and here are a few photos of what I got done.
Here is the cut and test fitted bezel edges that used to be made of plastic. I used some recycled aluminum tread plate that was once pickup truck bed rail covers.
In this photo I drilled the holes and mounted the heating element. These are just some fire bricks I had laying around. I plan to line the entire bottom with bricks eventually.
Here is a close up shot of the stainless steel nuts and bolts that make up the simple but effective element mounting system.
This part was a challenge. I had a tough time finding a grommet small enough for the single pieces of high temp wire entering the box. These are the perfect fit, so I know the wire will be secure and the insulation will not be worn by the edges of the metal box.
And finally, my 4" stainless steel smoke stack with damper. I'm really not looking forward to drilling the box and the outer shell with a 4" hole saw.
I'm planning to spend some more time tomorrow working on it and I will continue to take photos of the project. Thank a lot everyone for helping to keep me motivated.