So I had a little time tonight and decided that I'd prep the 40 for next weekend's Boston butt and pulled turkey marathon. After 33 trips to Home Depot and Lowe's over the past couple of nights I finally got it slapped together about an hour ago. This is how I modded it. I didn't take any step-by-step pix because I assumed there are hundreds of how-to's out there already. Wire nuts, Form A Gasket, repurposed sheet metal, and time mostly. Oh, and about half a dozen Dremel cut-off wheels. Those darned things are expensive!
I did incorporate the high temperature cut-off sensor, but I'm not happy with how I had to attach it. It's just bare (insulated) 12 gauge wire coming out of the box there, and under the plate with the thin gasket only. I'll have to brainstorm that a bit and come up with something a little more water resistant and safe. I might put a box over it like the one on the calrod. This picture is misleading because it looks like I have the sensor connected to that flexible conduit. It isn't.
I'm connecting an Auber WSD-1200GPH with the clip-probe to it. Then it's headed out to my sister's house where I keep my WSM (I live in an apartment in the city - no smoking). I'll take it through the auto-tune and burn off all the oils. Hopefully have a useful smoker soon! Everything original is intact and wrapped so if I ever decide to revert back to OEM I can with little hassle. Just a few screw holes unaccounted for ;-)
Thanks for looking!