- 4 Posts. Joined 6/2015
- Location: Lee's Summit, Missouri
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smoker on sale Last post on 1/21/10 at 3:50pm in Electric Smokers
- MES at QVC Last post on 4/7/09 at 2:40am in Electric Smokers
- How To Bypass Controller On Mes 30 Digital? Last post on 7/28/15 at 8:14am in Electric Smokers
- Help! I'm in Limbo. Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:10am in Electric Smokers
- Need input on a smoker Last post on 1/10/13 at 10:38am in Electric Smokers
I had been looking to get a smoker and was researching a few different models. My hand was forced when my grill quit working, so I ended up getting this rather quickly as a result. My rationale...
I took this back after 2 weeks. A part needed to be replaced and they sent it to me for ME to install and change out. That job is not mine for something I paid over a grande for. They finally got a...
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
How Many Mes Owners Here? - Page 82
Poll Results: Which One Do You Have?
47% of voters (1030)30'
2% of voters (59)40'
23% of voters (511)40' with window
1% of voters (29)40' 800 watt
12% of voters (275)40' 1200 watt
34% of voters (741)I like it a lot
1% of voters (37)I wish I had something else and why
5% of voters (111)Where did you buy it?
13% of voters (286)Sams Club
16% of voters (357)Other please list where in a post
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well I have ran into my first problem with my MES smoker. I started to yardbirds earlier. Then went after my hour to add more chips and came up to a cold smoker. I know I set the Temperature to 235 and timer to 6 hours. I noticed the "Red Heating" light came on at the time. however after going check the chickens and add chips, the smoker was ice cold. This smoker is 3 months old and I'm kinda pissed that it has let me down so soon.
Any suggestions? Can I even bring it back to Lowes where I purchased it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have only had my 30" MES for about 3 weeks but I am very pleased so far. I have smoked a ham, turkey tenderloins, deer jerky and a boston butt. All of them came out great.
I am also on my second MES 40. Just picked up my second Gen 1 on 8/13/15. My first that I purchased in 9/11 started tripping the GFCI initially then during my last smoke it quit altogether. Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty with Sam's Club so I packed it up and sent it in for repairs. They said it couldn't be repaired and just sent me my money back so I just got another at Walmart.com for $319.00 as Sam's doesn't carry the Gen 1 anymore. Bought another 3 year extended warranty as well for $38.00.
Love the ease of smoking on this unit with Todd's AMPS but they do have their issues... I do like that they made the element more easily replaceable now.
Hopefully this one will go for a while!
I have a MES 30 from Lowes. Added MES cold smoke unit and connected it with 6 foot of 3'' duct. This allows a real cold smoke. When I am using MES heat I use the cold smoke unit because it does not need to be fed every half hour.
Edited by pdpdad - 8/25/15 at 5:20pm
Positives out way the negatives, easy to use, plenty of room, simple to control. The only negative for me is that it retains too much moisture in the cabinet while smoking.....almost to the point of steaming the meat. The unit needs a vent near the bottom of the cabinet. I use a different unit for more technical items.
You aren't putting water in the pan---Right??
You're right about retaining moisture.
I have a Kamado Akorn that is insulated and the vents are barely cracked and get a great bark (I guess because it's 1/3 the capacity of the MES.) The MES has more air current than the Kamado. I've only used two racks at the most so far in the MES.
WE LOVE IT ! WE have made some modifications to ours, we added a ROTISSERIE ! and a new electronic control box, we can now cook by temperature here
I am an electronic engineer, there is a lot of electronics in this box ! We did make one change, we changed the pre set temperature of 145 to 250. Th AC amp meter reads up to 30 amps, with a 1200 watt unit and 120 volts it should read 12 amps. We did rewire the smoker with all number 10 teflon insulated wire. Flip the switch to smoker and it works just like it came from the factory. Put the switch down to modified and that is where the magic happens
Use the wood pellets they give us a lot of smoke. We put about 3/4 to 1 cup in at a time and they last about 45 minutes
be sure the tray is in the right place
How difficult was it to mod?
- How Many Mes Owners Here?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Yeti Resting 4 seconds ago
- › Ham,it's what's for dinner 2 minutes ago
- › Can you guess wha it is? 5 minutes ago
- › The Smokin Monkey Cook Book 9 minutes ago
- › Cold smoke attachment and bacon 13 minutes ago
- › First Post: Smoked Top Sirloin w/ Q-VIEW!!!!! 16 minutes ago
- › Debating the purchase 18 minutes ago
- › Happy Birthday Cfarmer! 21 minutes ago
- › New member from Kentucky 21 minutes ago
- › Cleaning out my RF Smoker 21 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN TRIPLE (3) BURNER by wbf610
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ammaturesmoker
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona