or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › My first Buckboard Bacon ( lots of Qview ! )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first Buckboard Bacon ( lots of Qview ! ) - Page 2

post #21 of 32

 This thread versus the other you linked me too uses two different cuts correct? On this one you are using a shoulder cut versus the boston butt in the other one.

 

 I understand there is some packaging difference s in what they are sometimes called but here I can get pork shoulder roasts or boston butts and they don't appear to be the same. Is it a potatoe/potato thing or something or are they that different to use. Different way of cutting them up?

 

  Griz

post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post
 

 This thread versus the other you linked me too uses two different cuts correct? On this one you are using a shoulder cut versus the boston butt in the other one.

 

 I understand there is some packaging difference s in what they are sometimes called but here I can get pork shoulder roasts or boston butts and they don't appear to be the same. Is it a potatoe/potato thing or something or are they that different to use. Different way of cutting them up?

 

  Griz


They are both Boston Butts.

I was a Newbie in 2009, when I called them Shoulders. The Boston Butt is part of the shoulder, but it's the best part of the shoulder, as opposed to the Picnic.

 

 

Bear

post #23 of 32

 Thanks Bear. This stuff is a bit confusing right out of the gate. Thanks for being so understanding and helpful dude. .

 

You mention in a thread about leaving the bone in and curing it and making pulled ham. Would the roast need to be injected or dry curing like the split one work also? Thickness being the indicator I'll assume. 

 

I'm three butts richer and some spare ribs since lunch trip to market. One deboned and cut in half and two whole. Thought of the whole cured pulled ham and the buckboard bacon out of the other one that's split in half.

 

I've been watching videos of cutting up butts and shoulders and my wife thinks I've slid off the edge.

 

 Heck, I fell off years ago..

 

 Griz

post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post
 

 Thanks Bear. This stuff is a bit confusing right out of the gate. Thanks for being so understanding and helpful dude. I enjoy helping others, especially nice peeps!!

 

You mention in a thread about leaving the bone in and curing it and making pulled ham. Would the roast need to be injected or dry curing like the split one work also? Thickness being the indicator I'll assume. When curing, I like to split anything that gets even close to 3" thick.

 

I'm three butts richer and some spare ribs since lunch trip to market. One deboned and cut in half and two whole. Thought of the whole cured pulled ham and the buckboard bacon out of the other one that's split in half. I like the method I used where I split the Butt in half & made the Pulled Ham from the bottom "Leaner" half, and the top "Fattier" half for BBB. (See Below)

 

I've been watching videos of cutting up butts and shoulders and my wife thinks I've slid off the edge. LOL----Tell me about it----I have Direct TV & the "Genie", so I can watch U-Tube on Hi Def Big Screen. That makes her give me the Eye!!!

 

 Heck, I fell off years ago..

 

 Griz

 

Here's the one I meant above:

 

 

Bear

post #25 of 32
Excellent info.

In the jump right in department, I have two butts curing with four pieces going to pulled ham and two pieces going to bacon. Butcher removed the fat cap on the one I had him debone for me and cut in half. The other had better bacon cut after I deboned it so its all curing. The bacon with TQ and CGP in the hams in TQ and brown sugar.

I'm doing another pulled pork butt that I put on at 5AM this morning.

Also doing some spare ribs at the same time. Guess i like a challenge. Lol.

Everything is wrapped and getting up to temp in the smoker. Unwrap ribs in an hour for the last hour finishing it off.

Pics to come.

Griz
post #26 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post

Excellent info.

In the jump right in department, I have two butts curing with four pieces going to pulled ham and two pieces going to bacon. Butcher removed the fat cap on the one I had him debone for me and cut in half. The other had better bacon cut after I deboned it so its all curing. The bacon with TQ and CGP in the hams in TQ and brown sugar.

I'm doing another pulled pork butt that I put on at 5AM this morning.

Also doing some spare ribs at the same time. Guess i like a challenge. Lol.

Everything is wrapped and getting up to temp in the smoker. Unwrap ribs in an hour for the last hour finishing it off.

Pics to come.

Griz


Thanks Griz!!

 

Sounds like you really did jump on this stuff!!

 

 

Bear

post #27 of 32

Bear,

 

 I put up a post on it when I got it done. Here's the link.

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/177246/spare-ribs-and-pulled-pork

 

 Griz

post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post
 

Bear,

 

 I put up a post on it when I got it done. Here's the link.

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/177246/spare-ribs-and-pulled-pork

 

 Griz


And a Great Post it is!!

 

Thanks for the Link!!

 

Bear

post #29 of 32

 Bear,

 

  My first use with the new AMNPS was Sunday doing the buckboard bacon and pulled cured ham. I guess everyone has to try it before they understand how nice it really is. Light it and forget it is really nice to work with.

 

 I started at 4AM firing up the smoker to 140 and cutting it back to 120 once it was hot. I put on the pieces on several racks as I had lots of pieces to do. Thinnest on top.

 

 Everything went pretty close to your times on the internal temps. I started with hickory for about 5 hours and it graduated over to Apple and then Cherry at the last couple of hours.

 

 I pulled the bacon at about 120 on them. I left the ham pieces uncovered but in pans once they hit 165 until they hit a bit over 200.

 

 Just out of the fridge and washed off a bit.

 

 

 

 Fry test. I love these..

 

 

Hams just out of the smoker.

 

 

Some pulled for testing..

 

One more pic added to show it sliced and sealed for freezer.

 

 

 

 Overall it is awesome dude. The bacon almost was too good to even smoke, so I know it is better now. Can't wait to try it later today. Ham is incredible.

 

  Griz


Edited by ibdagriz - 2/19/15 at 8:42am
post #30 of 32

Looks Good   nice job

 

gary

post #31 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post
 

 Bear,

 

  My first use with the new AMNPS was Sunday doing the buckboard bacon and pulled cured ham. I guess everyone has to try it before they understand how nice it really is. Light it and forget it is really nice to work with.

 

 I started at 4AM firing up the smoker to 140 and cutting it back to 120 once it was hot. I put on the pieces on several racks as I had lots of pieces to do. Thinnest on top.

 

 Everything went pretty close to your times on the internal temps. I started with hickory for about 5 hours and it graduated over to Apple and then Cherry at the last couple of hours.

 

 I pulled the bacon at about 120 on them. I left the ham pieces uncovered but in pans once they hit 165 until they hit a bit over 200.

 

 

 I'll get some bacon shots when I get it sliced up.

 

 Overall it is awesome dude. The bacon almost was too good to even smoke, so I know it is better now. Can't wait to try it later today. Ham is incredible.

 

  Griz

 

Beautiful Job Griz!!!:drool

 

I'm glad you like it !!

 

I gotta say though, I believe you posted it on the wrong Step by Step. This one is just a Buckboard Bacon Step by Step that I used Hi Mountain cure on.

 

I believe the one you followed was this one:

 
 
 
You did a great job though!!
 
Bear   
 
post #32 of 32

 I was following my post to you about the butts more than the step by step process on doing them actually.

 

 I wish he had left the cap on the other one also, but it made nice ham so I can't really complain I guess..

 

 Griz

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Smoking Bacon
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › My first Buckboard Bacon ( lots of Qview ! )