Great buy! Here are a few things I did to mine...
1. Fire box insert.
2. Added 1.5" flat bar to rear of fire grate to raise coals (more room for fire, more room for ash).
3. Added another thermometer just below grate on back side in center of pit.
4. Added 22 ga. carbon steel baffle at fire box end of pit to help divert high heat towards center.
5. Extended stack with aluminum duct.
6. Drilled 3 small holes at right side of pit to accomodate digi probes. Eliminates need to shut them in door and sure keeps them working. I have my original probes and head units... almost two years old and still working good.
These mods have made my pit much more stable and predictable than it was out of the box. Before adding the baffle, the fire box end was too hot to cook on... no longer a problem. Prior to adding the stack extension I was measuring ~80 degrees difference between top of pit and rack... now reduced to ~20 degrees difference. Before raising my coal rack, my fire would smother itself out from ash build up during long smokes... now I can burn 10+ pounds of lump plus several sticks of wood before worrying about ash, plus the air flow over the coals is improved.
Anyhow, it is a great pit that is capable of cooking all your favorite goodies. Enjoy!