These are basically smoked potatoes with an herb and spice rub. Sounds like barbecue to me.
• 8 baking potatoes (Yukon gold's are good for this)
• 1 cup bacon grease, softened, not melted
• HERB MIX:
• 2 tablespoons ground sage
• 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
• 2 tablespoons dried parsley
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons paprika
Wash and dry potatoes. Rub warm, soft bacon grease ( I just use butter at times ) into the skin of each potato, covering completely. Mix the herbs together; roll each potato in herb mixture, making sure to cover completely. Puncture each potato several times. Place on hot grill in a smoker, and smoke for 1 hour at 250 deg, turning once. Remove potato and wrap each in double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Seal the foil and place back in smoker for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until soft when poked.
I like to open them up the last 1/2 hour or so to make the skin alittle more crunchy. Sweet potatoes work too and actually will take less time to do.