OK, I'm ready to build one of these suckers! I do however have some very basic (I think) questions.
- If I get a brand new factory barrel, unlined so it's bare steel, do I need to burn it? Can I keep the factory paint on the outside if I don't need to burn?
- If I do need to burn it, do you need to do anything with the lid or just use it as is?
- How long can I expect a basket of fuel to burn? Long smokes concern me here but from what I've read it burns slow.
- I also need instuctions on proper fuel lighting techniques with a UDS.
- I have also read about a seanoning process. Please enlighten thy ignorant one.
- How do you guys add more wood? Do you soak your wood? Do you take the grates out and add? Again, thinking long smokes.
- How does a UDS perform in cold weather? I live in upstate NY for cryin out loud!