Easy Scalloped Potatoes
I do not have exact measurements, use your best judgement. These are the best scallops I've ever had. I made them from scratch without ever having a recipe.
The smoking method sounds very interesting although I've never tried this so I'm not sure how they would turn out???
- Dice a half pound of bacon. Fry in skillet to a medium crisp. Remove bacon once cooked and save the drippings/grease. (The bacon is a topping and won't be added until the potatoes are done)
- Slice 5-6 skinned potatoes into 1/4" thick circles. Add to large mixing bowl.
- Dice Large yellow onion. Add to bowl.
- Add a hefty dallop of mayo, I'd say 2-4 tbsp.
- Add a shot of milk or heavy cream, whatever you have.
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add bacon drippings (You could also add butter).
- Don't be scared to add some seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder or cayenne pepper, hot sauce, ETC... I think I add a little garlic powder.
The potato mixture should be a little thin to creamy. If too thin, add more mayo and/or potatoes.
- Mix well and add to 12x12 shallow baking dish or larger sprayed with Pam
- Add kraft cheese slices and shredded sharp or mild cheddar cheese liberally over the top of potatoes.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook at 375-400 for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove and check tenderness. Once done, top with bacon.
Hope you enjoy. I sure like these better than the boxed stuff.