- 824 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: Husker Country
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Length of time to start smoking after starting lump charcoal Last post on 10/15/10 at 9:05am in Charcoal Smokers
- Dont go Cheap on the charcoal Last post on 10/13/10 at 6:44pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Briquettes vs. Lump Last post on 9/30/10 at 7:51am in Charcoal Smokers
- Cowboy lump charcoal Last post on 8/30/10 at 6:01am in Charcoal Smokers
- Question: Lump Coal Last post on 8/20/10 at 3:39am in General Discussion
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is actually a review for Traegers customer service. I don't own a Traeger, but I borrowed and damaged one. I have a Yoder 640. I had loaded 70lbs of pork into it, and went to bed. In the...
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
I've only had the Masterbuilt dual-fuel propane for a month now but have used it 10 times for everything from salmon to pulled pork. I had been thinking about getting a real smoker for a while now...
Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
How its made?Ever see the Discovery Channel show Dirty Jobs? They did a episode on how charcoal is made. A lot of it is old construction material, untreated of course. So, I would say to find a chunk of 2x4 (as long as its oak) is probably not impossible.
I thought thin "blue smoke" was a good thing?
What's wrong with "thin blue smoke"? Last I checked, that is the good stuff. It's the white smoke that you want to avoid.
I use alot of naturalmesquite lump and reg kings briqs. Let me tell you man, that stuff takes off like solid rocket fuel. I put some in my drum (50/50 RO lump and Kingsford hickory briqs) and did a minion start with a half chimney of RO. My drum shot up into the 300s and it would not come down. I thought my whole basket of royal oak and kings was gonna burn up before I could put the meat on. It settled down after about 35 min with intake and exhaust shut, but burned for 13 plus hours before I went to bed. I'm by far no expert with RO lump, but light it sparingly and keep the reigns on it..
I think the thin blue he was refering to was the ignition smoke you get when you light any charcoal.
Also like Pit4Brains said keep a sharp eye on it and catch it before it gets much above 200°. I usually damp it down hard as soon as my smoker hits 200°, then slowly open the vents just a little bit at a time till I get to my target.
Around here it's hard to find lump made in the good ol' USA. No telling what if any controls are in Argentina, Mexico, Brazil... etc.... I saw this one at Wal-Mart and will be trying it out in the near future.
Here's a link to the Naked Whiz "The Lump Charcoal Database"
Hope this helps out!!
- Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Rib-Eyes, Stuffed Mushrooms & Garlic Toast 5 minutes ago
- › I need some help very badly (getting thin blue line of smoke) 8 minutes ago
- › Smoking food for wood 21 minutes ago
- › Chicken breast 22 minutes ago
- › Smoking in Thailand, maybe... 27 minutes ago
- › Question's & more following probably, on using cure #1 in sausage. 33 minutes ago
- › New member 54 minutes ago
- › Hello everyone. New here 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Currs 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Trying my smoking wits on St. Louis Spareribs. 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by montanashawn
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman
- › Weston Pro Series #22 Food Grinder 1HP by TripleQ