- 824 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: Husker Country
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Length of time to start smoking after starting lump charcoal Last post on 10/15/10 at 9:05am in Charcoal Smokers
- Dont go Cheap on the charcoal Last post on 10/13/10 at 6:44pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Briquettes vs. Lump Last post on 9/30/10 at 7:51am in Charcoal Smokers
- Cowboy lump charcoal Last post on 8/30/10 at 6:01am in Charcoal Smokers
- Question: Lump Coal Last post on 8/20/10 at 3:39am in General Discussion
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
How its made?Ever see the Discovery Channel show Dirty Jobs? They did a episode on how charcoal is made. A lot of it is old construction material, untreated of course. So, I would say to find a chunk of 2x4 (as long as its oak) is probably not impossible.
I thought thin "blue smoke" was a good thing?
What's wrong with "thin blue smoke"? Last I checked, that is the good stuff. It's the white smoke that you want to avoid.
I use alot of naturalmesquite lump and reg kings briqs. Let me tell you man, that stuff takes off like solid rocket fuel. I put some in my drum (50/50 RO lump and Kingsford hickory briqs) and did a minion start with a half chimney of RO. My drum shot up into the 300s and it would not come down. I thought my whole basket of royal oak and kings was gonna burn up before I could put the meat on. It settled down after about 35 min with intake and exhaust shut, but burned for 13 plus hours before I went to bed. I'm by far no expert with RO lump, but light it sparingly and keep the reigns on it..
I think the thin blue he was refering to was the ignition smoke you get when you light any charcoal.
Also like Pit4Brains said keep a sharp eye on it and catch it before it gets much above 200°. I usually damp it down hard as soon as my smoker hits 200°, then slowly open the vents just a little bit at a time till I get to my target.
Around here it's hard to find lump made in the good ol' USA. No telling what if any controls are in Argentina, Mexico, Brazil... etc.... I saw this one at Wal-Mart and will be trying it out in the near future.
Here's a link to the Naked Whiz "The Lump Charcoal Database"
Hope this helps out!!
- Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › I'm finally starting to get it down 54 minutes ago
- › 1st Smoker and I'm trying Everything 1 hour ago
- › Electric Smokers ... Bradley vs Masterbuilt???? 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Hello from South Central Texas 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Trying Umai Soppressata 2 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans" 2 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Weber Customer Service Outstanding 3 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › ECB Electric Trying To Improve My Shoulder Method 3 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Any tips for cooking a meatloaf in an electric smoker? 4 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › What's your favorite home cooked meal?? 4 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ