- 824 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: Husker Country
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Length of time to start smoking after starting lump charcoal Last post on 10/15/10 at 9:05am in Charcoal Smokers
- Dont go Cheap on the charcoal Last post on 10/13/10 at 6:44pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Briquettes vs. Lump Last post on 9/30/10 at 7:51am in Charcoal Smokers
- Cowboy lump charcoal Last post on 8/30/10 at 6:01am in Charcoal Smokers
- Question: Lump Coal Last post on 8/20/10 at 3:39am in General Discussion
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
How its made?Ever see the Discovery Channel show Dirty Jobs? They did a episode on how charcoal is made. A lot of it is old construction material, untreated of course. So, I would say to find a chunk of 2x4 (as long as its oak) is probably not impossible.
I thought thin "blue smoke" was a good thing?
What's wrong with "thin blue smoke"? Last I checked, that is the good stuff. It's the white smoke that you want to avoid.
I use alot of naturalmesquite lump and reg kings briqs. Let me tell you man, that stuff takes off like solid rocket fuel. I put some in my drum (50/50 RO lump and Kingsford hickory briqs) and did a minion start with a half chimney of RO. My drum shot up into the 300s and it would not come down. I thought my whole basket of royal oak and kings was gonna burn up before I could put the meat on. It settled down after about 35 min with intake and exhaust shut, but burned for 13 plus hours before I went to bed. I'm by far no expert with RO lump, but light it sparingly and keep the reigns on it..
I think the thin blue he was refering to was the ignition smoke you get when you light any charcoal.
Also like Pit4Brains said keep a sharp eye on it and catch it before it gets much above 200°. I usually damp it down hard as soon as my smoker hits 200°, then slowly open the vents just a little bit at a time till I get to my target.
Around here it's hard to find lump made in the good ol' USA. No telling what if any controls are in Argentina, Mexico, Brazil... etc.... I saw this one at Wal-Mart and will be trying it out in the near future.
Here's a link to the Naked Whiz "The Lump Charcoal Database"
Hope this helps out!!
- Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Lobster stuffed portabella 2 minutes ago
- › First whole shoulder bone in. 11 minutes ago
- › Bierschinken, mortadella, mettwurst, and more 11 minutes ago
- › TexMex snack sticks 13 minutes ago
- › Air Cooked Bacon Rinds 13 minutes ago
- › Frozen Fish 18 minutes ago
- › easy meat for first time smoker 18 minutes ago
- › My Last Bottle 19 minutes ago
- › Chicken Lollipops 22 minutes ago
- › What am I doing wrong? WSM 14.5" 22 minutes ago
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot