- 824 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: Husker Country
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Length of time to start smoking after starting lump charcoal Last post on 10/15/10 at 9:05am in Charcoal Smokers
- Dont go Cheap on the charcoal Last post on 10/13/10 at 6:44pm in Charcoal Smokers
- Briquettes vs. Lump Last post on 9/30/10 at 7:51am in Charcoal Smokers
- Cowboy lump charcoal Last post on 8/30/10 at 6:01am in Charcoal Smokers
- Question: Lump Coal Last post on 8/20/10 at 3:39am in General Discussion
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
How its made?Ever see the Discovery Channel show Dirty Jobs? They did a episode on how charcoal is made. A lot of it is old construction material, untreated of course. So, I would say to find a chunk of 2x4 (as long as its oak) is probably not impossible.
I thought thin "blue smoke" was a good thing?
What's wrong with "thin blue smoke"? Last I checked, that is the good stuff. It's the white smoke that you want to avoid.
I use alot of naturalmesquite lump and reg kings briqs. Let me tell you man, that stuff takes off like solid rocket fuel. I put some in my drum (50/50 RO lump and Kingsford hickory briqs) and did a minion start with a half chimney of RO. My drum shot up into the 300s and it would not come down. I thought my whole basket of royal oak and kings was gonna burn up before I could put the meat on. It settled down after about 35 min with intake and exhaust shut, but burned for 13 plus hours before I went to bed. I'm by far no expert with RO lump, but light it sparingly and keep the reigns on it..
I think the thin blue he was refering to was the ignition smoke you get when you light any charcoal.
Also like Pit4Brains said keep a sharp eye on it and catch it before it gets much above 200°. I usually damp it down hard as soon as my smoker hits 200°, then slowly open the vents just a little bit at a time till I get to my target.
Around here it's hard to find lump made in the good ol' USA. No telling what if any controls are in Argentina, Mexico, Brazil... etc.... I saw this one at Wal-Mart and will be trying it out in the near future.
Here's a link to the Naked Whiz "The Lump Charcoal Database"
Hope this helps out!!
- Is this Lump??
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Question about what to use to seal a grill 4 minutes ago
- › First Smoke - Boston Butt 10 minutes ago
- › Dear Sausage Doctors, my sausage is 'puckered' in smoker. Too much... 12 minutes ago
- › Baby back ribs on a lovely Friday afternoon. 12 minutes ago
- › pork butte is on 14 minutes ago
- › first chuck roast 24 minutes ago
- › Join 2day 37 minutes ago
- › Butts and Ribs w/ Q-View 39 minutes ago
- › Bought A New Gun Today !! 39 minutes ago
- › Hello from Laramie, Wyoming. 42 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations