Johnny, A English banger is a mildly spiced pork sausage, often made with a filler such as bread crumbs. Like a brat, it is a fresh sausagea nd must be fully cooked before eating.
Bangers are great with mashed turnips/taters with a little bit of butter and chives and a pint of bitter!
Here is a recipe for them, if this helps.English Bangers
- 5 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 2 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 lb. boneless lean pork shoulder or loin cut in cubes
- 1 lb. fresh pork fat in cubes
- 1 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 1/2 teaspoon Banger seasoning
Grind pork and fat together using plate of meat grinder.
Add Banger Seasoning and mix well.
Stuff mixture into casings and tie in 4-5 inch lengths.
This mixture will be too fine to form into patties.
Bake or sauté as you prefer.