› Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Hanging tenders, Rib Lifters?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hanging tenders, Rib Lifters?

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
Many moons ago when I was in flight school in Moses Lake Washington I used to frequent a local butcher who would sell me a cut called a "hanging tender". He told me it was the hunk of cow that the hook went through when the half was hanging in the cold room. It had some pretty thick chord to it and was pretty tough if you sliced it with the grain. But if you sliced it cross grain it was really a good piece of meat. I bought a bunch of them to make jerky and it worked really well for that. Another cut he sold me was something called a "rib lifter" which were were far superior and well marbled. I think that was the piece that was cut from the rib to make a rib eye steak, but I could be wrong about that.

All that aside I have never seen either hanging tenders or rib lifters offered for sale since then and that was almost 30 years ago. Are any of you butcher types out there familiar with either of these cuts or know if they go by another name these days? Just for nostalgia I'd like to taste those cuts again.

Dutch, I know you'll have some info on this one.
post #2 of 3

I think both (or something with very similar names) are listed here. Hope it helps or at least gets you going in the right direction.
post #3 of 3
Jimbo, the hanging tender is part of the diaphram. The tender is closest to the back bone and is thicker than the rest of the meat that is found on the diaphram (aka rib lifter). In the past, these where commonly tossed into the grind bin for hamburger, recently, these pieces have been sold as frajita meat and is kind of pricy if you can find it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Hanging tenders, Rib Lifters?