A BBQ specialty store near us sells strips of Jack Daniels barrel staves for smoking. I have not tried them, but they smell wonderful (about 2" wide strips of the oak barrels with the full char on the inside). I don't have a stick burner, but I keep saying I need to get some and cut them shorter to try in my WSM.
Related Forum Threads
- How much wood chips should I use? Last post on 12/25/12 at 10:08am in Woods for Smoking
- Question re: wood chunks Last post on 8/2/08 at 5:44pm in Woods for Smoking
- Mechanics: Have to recharge wood chips Last post on 6/15/08 at 12:00am in Pork
- Wood Chunks in Columbus, OH Last post on 1/16/11 at 6:41pm in Woods for Smoking
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
Jack Daniels wood chips - Page 2post #21 of 311/13/13 at 9:03pm
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #22 of 311/14/13 at 4:46ampost #23 of 311/14/13 at 5:13ampost #24 of 311/14/13 at 5:28ampost #25 of 311/29/13 at 4:16pm
On the Jack Daniel's distillery tour, you learn that they hand make their barrels, and that they only use the barrels once for JD. Some barrels are sent to wineries and other distilleries who reuse them to age their products, but some barrels end up in the chipper for smoking chips.
Oh, and they sell barrels at the Barrel Shop in Lynchburg... I'll be headed up there this weekend to pick up a barrel to decorate my bar. ;)post #26 of 312/10/13 at 5:39pm
They had them on sale at the Gander Mountain so I said what the heck.
I smoked a bacon wrapped Filet mignon turned out awesome.
smoked a pork tenderloin and was not impressed as my creation stated above.
since I am new and love to experiment, what other wood chips would be good to mix with bourbon oak to compliment flavor?post #27 of 311/7/15 at 6:28ampost #28 of 312/17/15 at 11:36am
I just recently used mine for the first time. I had used some JD in the sauce for some wings and decided it was a good time to open up the bag of JD Chips I had. I even added a splash of JD to my water pan. They turned out great, really proud since they were my first wings.post #29 of 312/27/15 at 9:45pm
I tried these last weekend on a 12# butt, honestly, prefer my normal hickory, apple wood smoke. These just didn't produce the smoke flavor I prefer, and the price is a little steep in my opinion.post #30 of 312/13/16 at 10:38pmI like the JD chips with beef and was amazing on a prime rib, (rubbed the roast with Jack and rolled in salt) added the JD Chips and only a smoke for 130-2 hrs and let the rub do the rest...... can be too much on pork and chicken in my opinionpost #31 of 313/9/16 at 11:03am
and thats excatly what brought me to this thread...I was hoping someone would be of like mind. The ideal of these chips are good but they come saturated anyhow. Not mush or anything, but damp.
you wouldnt need much whiskey (I think id like a bourbon mop better though) for the mop. It being alcohol, it would probably soak and absorb easier and deeper.
I bought a bag to play with and I feel like its just a good way to get the heat back to where it needs to be when the fires dying down.
- Jack Daniels wood chips
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › Pulled pork per person. 3 seconds ago
- › Biltong Box Schematics / Scrawl :) 5 minutes ago
- › Smoking without a smoker? 24 minutes ago
- › Duck score 25 minutes ago
- › Need a Good Thermometer 32 minutes ago
- › Johnsonville brats 49 minutes ago
- › First Boston butt 53 minutes ago
- › TexMex snack sticks 1 hour ago
- › You know your snack sticks are gonna be hot when... 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › 2017 Fattie Contest 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot