- 177 Posts. Joined 11/2006
- Location: Strang, Nebraska
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- How much wood chips should I use? Last post on 12/25/12 at 10:08am in Woods for Smoking
- Question re: wood chunks Last post on 8/2/08 at 5:44pm in Woods for Smoking
- Mechanics: Have to recharge wood chips Last post on 6/15/08 at 12:00am in Pork
- Wood Chunks in Columbus, OH Last post on 1/16/11 at 6:41pm in Woods for Smoking
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
I'm a rookie and this product made things pretty easy for me on the first two attempts. Both my brisket one day, as well as 2 split chickens a few days later were delicious and relatively easy. ...
I started with a cheap smoker that I bought from Home Depot that out lived its life. I was in BJ's and saw this one on sale for $275.00. After finding this site and looking at the reviews i...
I bought this on sale to use as a temporary smoker until I can afford a super heavy-duty unit, and after my larger similar offset smoker finally died. Although it's too light for constant use, it...
I have had this Weber performer for 25 yrs and have replaced the cooking grill, bricket grill and the ash catcher bucket once. If I ever have replace parts again.......I will. I love this grill and...
I am a rookie to the world of smokers but this Traeger Junior Pellet Grill makes me look and taste like a Pro. Super easy to use and the outcome is amazing! Only thing is the pellet box is small...
Jack Daniels wood chipspost #1 of 292/21/07 at 10:26pmThread StarterMy wife just brought home a bag of Jack Daniels wood chips. Can anyone describe what the taste will be like. I plan on doing a pork butt this weekend.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 292/21/07 at 10:42pmpost #3 of 292/22/07 at 11:03pmLovetosmoke,
I tried the Jack Daniels chips once. Since I like their premier product a lot, I thought the chips would add a nice flavor to my smoke. Now that I recall it, they might not have been chips. I now believe they might have been very small finely processed nuggets or granules. Anyway, I was out of hickory so I picked up a couple of bags at my local Home Depot. My assessment is that they weren't very good. They smoked fairly good but little of the oak or whiskey flavor. They weren't totally bad but as long as I can find my preferred wood (hickory) or one of the others like cherry, oak, apple, pecan etc., I won't be using any more of the Jack Daniels. Just my 2cents worth. Hope yours turns out much better.post #4 of 292/23/07 at 11:25amThread Starterpost #5 of 292/25/07 at 11:59amThread StarterI smoked two steaks yesterday for lunch with the Jack Daniels chips. They really gave them a good flavor. I think next week I will try a pork butt with them. I thought about smoking a butt this weekend, but I figured I would try a steak first, in case I did not like the taste. I did not want to waste the butt.post #6 of 295/5/08 at 11:13am
Jack Daniels Smoke ChipsI Grill ALL The Time But I Cheat I Do Not Really Smoke The Way You Big Time Smoke People Do,i Just Do Not Have Hours To Wait So I Only Use Jack Daniels Chips (not The Pellets)they Suck,i Keep A Bucket Of Chips In Water At All Times And Put Chips On Top Of Charcoal And Then Will Some Times Dump A Cup Full Of Water On Them To Cool Down The Heat,put Meat On Grill And Shut Vents And Let Smoke,the Best Flavor Ever,i Have Tried Every Brand Of Chip Out There And Will Not Ever Buy Anything Else,pork Steaks Are To Die For This Way.my Family Loves Them And When We Are Out Of Chips We Are Looking In Every Store,the Only Place I Can Buy Them Is Walmart (hit And Miss)for $3.99 A Bag And Sportsmans Warehouse For $5.99 Per Bag,last Winter We Had To Order Them From Jack Daniels Web Site For $9.95 Plus Shipping,we Bought 10 Bags To Get Us Thru Winter,i Use Alot Of Chips This Way But Once You Do It And Taste The Flavor You Will Be Cutting Down Any White Oak Tree You Find. Try It And Let Me Know,grill Like Normal But A Little Slower Just Keep The Heat Down And Let It Smoke,pork Chops,steaks,burgers,johnson Vill Sausage.post #7 of 295/5/08 at 12:58pmpost #8 of 295/5/08 at 8:36pmI had a couple bags I tried, thought they were a bit to strong fer my likin. I cut em with some apple wood to the tune of bout 50/50 and they weren't bad. I won't pay the price fer em myself.post #9 of 295/23/08 at 10:02amI've used the pellets a couple of times. Personally, I didn't really notice if they added anything or not. I tend to use a combination of mesquite and hickory - usually alternating. I threw in a tin-foil pack of the pellets last time, just for fun. They did seem to last a fair amount of time.
I picked up another bag last night from Wal-mart. They were marked $3.77, but rang up for $3.00. Bag says it is good for 10 uses. Who's 10 uses? Definately not mine!
My philosophy is to just try to keep as much smoke as possible for as long as possible!post #10 of 295/23/08 at 10:38ampost #11 of 295/23/08 at 11:52amX2
Never bought their chips, a buddy has and the smell from the bag was great. To cook with them though not really sure what I thought. The taste didn't even compare to the smell of the bag. I think I'd rather just use old #7 as a spray than burn their woodpost #12 of 295/25/08 at 5:12ampost #13 of 295/27/08 at 4:56pmpost #14 of 295/27/08 at 6:18pmI've used them and they taste like any other oak. I'd rather put some in a jar on the table for potpourri for that price. I prefer to mix a little JD with a little brown sugar and some apple juice (1:1:10), then spray it on the meat a couple times an hour throughout the smoke.post #15 of 295/28/08 at 12:07pmI used them this weekend after my dog stole my bag of hickory and chewed up the chunks. They did ok. I think they made it a little to smokey for my taste. I used two pouches during the 5 hour smoke. I think i'll stick with Hickory and Oak. But i would suggest trying it to see if you like it. After all it is just one man's opinion........post #16 of 295/28/08 at 3:51pmpost #17 of 292/1/12 at 2:37pm
Dear unsure smoker,
Jack Daniels wood chips are the top of the line type of wood chips you want for the best flavor without alcohol taste. We have smoked chicken, pork ribs, beef ribs, and even the pork briskit (forgot spelling), and everything is so delicious it just melts in your mouth. I am having a really hard time finding it out here in Southern California.post #18 of 292/5/12 at 5:47ampost #19 of 291/13/13 at 1:25pmpost #20 of 291/13/13 at 4:12pm
- Jack Daniels wood chips
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › Parchment paper? 7 minutes ago
- › Oklahoma joe highlander temps mods 9 minutes ago
- › Spam. 11 minutes ago
- › First smoker on the way 11 minutes ago
- › BDSkelly ~ Ate The Last Bratwurst... Problem Fixed! 21 minutes ago
- › Mustard choice 24 minutes ago
- › BDSkelly ~ Pastrami 26 minutes ago
- › What am I doing wrong? 43 minutes ago
- › Newbie from the North East of England 44 minutes ago
- › MES 40 with Remote (Christmas Present) 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Landman 3895Gwla Smoky MountainVertical Gas Smoker, 38-Inch by Jarrinjack
- › Smoke Hollow Pro Series 44" by Hulka
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Grill by D9sus4
- › Weber 1421001 Performer Charcoal Grill, Black by fire in the hole
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by USMC1833
- › GMG by pharmdog
- › Bradley Digital 6-Rack Smoker by TimTimmay
- › EatSmart Precision Elite Digital Kitchen Scale - 15 lb. Capacity,... by gary s
- › Rival Company Seal-A-Meal Vacuum Sealer FSSMSL0160-000 by gary s
- › Kitchener 168613 5 lb. Vertical Sausage Stuffer by gary s
- › New Nomenclature - Beef
- › New Nomenclature - Pork
- › Smoke Ring Formation
- › Meats Touching Meats in Curing Brine
- › Reverse Flow Smoker... How to calculate...
- › Pop's Brine Concerned with Cure Only
- › The Difference Between Kosher, Table and Sea...
- › Cured and Smoked Beef Bacon and Pastrami
- › Changing Colors of Meats
- › A-MAZE-N Products Thanksgiving Smoking...