- 177 Posts. Joined 11/2006
- Location: Strang, Nebraska
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- How much wood chips should I use? Last post on 12/25/12 at 10:08am in Woods for Smoking
- Question re: wood chunks Last post on 8/2/08 at 5:44pm in Woods for Smoking
- Mechanics: Have to recharge wood chips Last post on 6/15/08 at 12:00am in Pork
- Wood Chunks in Columbus, OH Last post on 1/16/11 at 6:41pm in Woods for Smoking
- Noob question on chunks vs. larger pieces of wood for Char-Griller SFB Last post on 11/26/11 at 2:55pm in Woods for Smoking
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
I bought this recently so I could still smoke during the colder months. My charcoal smoker is good for the summer time but not when there is any breeze. It has no insulation. So for 175 I bought...
I bought these after seeing reviews on Amazon that said they were very heat resistant. The first time I grabbed the cast iron skillet to pull it out to put in more coals and wood chips, the tips...
The King Griller Double Play is a grill made by Char Griller and is nearly identical to the more popular Char Griller Duo. They sit on the same stand and have the same control nobs for the gas...
After FIVE, repeat Five Generation 2, 40" smokers, I finally have what appears to be a very reliable, accurate smoker. Masterbuilt replaced unit after unit of the poorly designed, poor quality...
great grill. I need lots of mods though.
Jack Daniels wood chipspost #1 of 262/21/07 at 10:26pmThread StarterMy wife just brought home a bag of Jack Daniels wood chips. Can anyone describe what the taste will be like. I plan on doing a pork butt this weekend.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 262/21/07 at 10:42pmpost #3 of 262/22/07 at 11:03pmLovetosmoke,
I tried the Jack Daniels chips once. Since I like their premier product a lot, I thought the chips would add a nice flavor to my smoke. Now that I recall it, they might not have been chips. I now believe they might have been very small finely processed nuggets or granules. Anyway, I was out of hickory so I picked up a couple of bags at my local Home Depot. My assessment is that they weren't very good. They smoked fairly good but little of the oak or whiskey flavor. They weren't totally bad but as long as I can find my preferred wood (hickory) or one of the others like cherry, oak, apple, pecan etc., I won't be using any more of the Jack Daniels. Just my 2cents worth. Hope yours turns out much better.post #4 of 262/23/07 at 11:25amThread Starterpost #5 of 262/25/07 at 11:59amThread StarterI smoked two steaks yesterday for lunch with the Jack Daniels chips. They really gave them a good flavor. I think next week I will try a pork butt with them. I thought about smoking a butt this weekend, but I figured I would try a steak first, in case I did not like the taste. I did not want to waste the butt.post #6 of 265/5/08 at 11:13am
Jack Daniels Smoke ChipsI Grill ALL The Time But I Cheat I Do Not Really Smoke The Way You Big Time Smoke People Do,i Just Do Not Have Hours To Wait So I Only Use Jack Daniels Chips (not The Pellets)they Suck,i Keep A Bucket Of Chips In Water At All Times And Put Chips On Top Of Charcoal And Then Will Some Times Dump A Cup Full Of Water On Them To Cool Down The Heat,put Meat On Grill And Shut Vents And Let Smoke,the Best Flavor Ever,i Have Tried Every Brand Of Chip Out There And Will Not Ever Buy Anything Else,pork Steaks Are To Die For This Way.my Family Loves Them And When We Are Out Of Chips We Are Looking In Every Store,the Only Place I Can Buy Them Is Walmart (hit And Miss)for $3.99 A Bag And Sportsmans Warehouse For $5.99 Per Bag,last Winter We Had To Order Them From Jack Daniels Web Site For $9.95 Plus Shipping,we Bought 10 Bags To Get Us Thru Winter,i Use Alot Of Chips This Way But Once You Do It And Taste The Flavor You Will Be Cutting Down Any White Oak Tree You Find. Try It And Let Me Know,grill Like Normal But A Little Slower Just Keep The Heat Down And Let It Smoke,pork Chops,steaks,burgers,johnson Vill Sausage.post #7 of 265/5/08 at 12:58pmpost #8 of 265/5/08 at 8:36pmI had a couple bags I tried, thought they were a bit to strong fer my likin. I cut em with some apple wood to the tune of bout 50/50 and they weren't bad. I won't pay the price fer em myself.post #9 of 265/23/08 at 10:02amI've used the pellets a couple of times. Personally, I didn't really notice if they added anything or not. I tend to use a combination of mesquite and hickory - usually alternating. I threw in a tin-foil pack of the pellets last time, just for fun. They did seem to last a fair amount of time.
I picked up another bag last night from Wal-mart. They were marked $3.77, but rang up for $3.00. Bag says it is good for 10 uses. Who's 10 uses? Definately not mine!
My philosophy is to just try to keep as much smoke as possible for as long as possible!post #10 of 265/23/08 at 10:38ampost #11 of 265/23/08 at 11:52amX2
Never bought their chips, a buddy has and the smell from the bag was great. To cook with them though not really sure what I thought. The taste didn't even compare to the smell of the bag. I think I'd rather just use old #7 as a spray than burn their woodpost #12 of 265/25/08 at 5:12ampost #13 of 265/27/08 at 4:56pmpost #14 of 265/27/08 at 6:18pmI've used them and they taste like any other oak. I'd rather put some in a jar on the table for potpourri for that price. I prefer to mix a little JD with a little brown sugar and some apple juice (1:1:10), then spray it on the meat a couple times an hour throughout the smoke.post #15 of 265/28/08 at 12:07pmI used them this weekend after my dog stole my bag of hickory and chewed up the chunks. They did ok. I think they made it a little to smokey for my taste. I used two pouches during the 5 hour smoke. I think i'll stick with Hickory and Oak. But i would suggest trying it to see if you like it. After all it is just one man's opinion........post #16 of 265/28/08 at 3:51pmpost #17 of 262/1/12 at 2:37pm
Dear unsure smoker,
Jack Daniels wood chips are the top of the line type of wood chips you want for the best flavor without alcohol taste. We have smoked chicken, pork ribs, beef ribs, and even the pork briskit (forgot spelling), and everything is so delicious it just melts in your mouth. I am having a really hard time finding it out here in Southern California.post #18 of 262/5/12 at 5:47ampost #19 of 261/13/13 at 1:25pmpost #20 of 261/13/13 at 4:12pm
- Jack Daniels wood chips
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › 8# Sirloin Tip Roast w/ q-View! 5 seconds ago
- › Ribs With Roller's Bread And !@#$% 45 seconds ago
- › Smoked Ribeye 3 minutes ago
- › HEAVENLY HADDOCK With SMOKED BLACKBERRIES & MUSHROOMS!!!!!!!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Yes.....more Salmon Jerky 13 minutes ago
- › Denver smoker 13 minutes ago
- › What's Your Favorite Item With Wine In It? 19 minutes ago
- › 'nother Idea Bad or ???? 25 minutes ago
- › First Post 29 minutes ago
- › Newbie from WI 30 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Bullfam
- › Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Insulated Food Gloves, Pair by EdDisabledVet
- › King Griller Double Play by Dish
- › Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker with Window by smoking in nye
- › Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Charcoal Grill by spaceman74
- › Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smokehouse (2nd Gen.) 20070512 by kittyf01
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by OlyPenAaron
- › Lawry's Perfect Blend Seasoning and Rub: Chicken and Poultry... by marivene mullin
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by Snaphook
- › Weston Professional Series Stainless Steel 20Lbs Manual Meat Mixer by Impatient
- › Those Crusty Crustaceans BBQ by mattmlstd
- › Making Bacon by Pops6927
- › Pork Meat Selection And Processing by Pops6927
- › A-MAZE-N Products Thanksgiving Contest by JenniO11
- › Curing And Smoking Information From The... by Pops6927
- › Cooking Log by Pops6927
- › Community Spotlight: Recipes by Bearcarver by monicas
- › Micro Smoker by BrianBray
- › No Knead Bread by BrianBray
- › Beef Steaks: Selection and Processing by Pops6927