Originally Posted by Smoke Alarm
Acacia Coa is what he said it was. Perhaps he's mistaken. Here's a pic of a couple pieces. Very dense and heavy. Looks like Mesquite right?
I'd put my money on that is kiawe... Nobody in their right mind would use koa to smoke with!!! I'm not saying it's not a suitable smoke wood, it probably is, but koa is VERY expensive.
your quote of everybody there smokes with it reinforces that it's kiawe because 90% of people here will only use kiawe, the other 10% use guava and ohia. I've lived here my entire life and have NEVER heard of anyone using koa wood to smoke with!!!
I do have some koa trees on my property. I also have lots of furniture in my house made from koa. This is a wood I'm familiar with.
I'm 99.99 positive that that is kiawe!!! Think about it: if that were koa you could make a matching pair of candlesticks that would be worth $50, If they were "curly" you'd get $100, who in their right mind would put koa in a smoker???