SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › Bacon: How to COOK it (not how to make it)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bacon: How to COOK it (not how to make it) - Page 2

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

This video explains it pretty good. You can do scrambled eggs too...

https://youtu.be/RB8Fz5XvcsM

Huh, would you look at that. Foil dinners were a Boy Scout staple but this is another level.
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 

It definitely gives a whole new meaning to "brown bagging" for lunch!

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnIdaho View Post

Huh, would you look at that. Foil dinners were a Boy Scout staple but this is another level.

You can do dinner too...

We did foil packet dinners but we also did paper bag dinners. Ever here any one hear mention wrapping brisket in butchers paper...
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

This video explains it pretty good. You can do scrambled eggs too...

https://youtu.be/RB8Fz5XvcsM
Looking good DS 😂
That is a cool method. Never heard about it. Will definitely try.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post


You can do dinner too...

We did foil packet dinners but we also did paper bag dinners. Ever here any one hear mention wrapping brisket in butchers paper...

 

 

:ROTF

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

Hmm ... quite a few of you are doing it in the oven. I need to try that again. I haven't done it that way for twenty years.

I did some research after I posted, looking to see what various cooking sites recommend. Cook's Illustrated recommends doing it in a frying pan, but covering the bacon with water. During the first part of the cooking the water boils, keeping the bacon from getting too hot and burning, but still hot enough for the fat to begin rendering. You then finish the cook in the normal way. I guess I need to try that one as well.

This really works. It takes a while, but the water renders more fat than frying alone, and the resulting bacon cooks up more uniformly and crispy than any other method I've tried. In addition, you end up with more fat in the pan, so if you're rendering bacon to sauté something in the fat, this is the way to go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Smoking Bacon
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Smoking Bacon › Bacon: How to COOK it (not how to make it)