SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Composting › Raccoon problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raccoon problem - Page 2

post #21 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

For in town varmits we use air rifles. The new ones not the old school ones. Coons aren't much of a problem here but rock chucks are.
An air rifle is on my shopping list this weekend. I was getting tired of rabbits eating my garden and this put me over the edge. For what it's worth, I had the hose in my left hand and a .38 in my right.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post

An air rifle is on my shopping list this weekend. I was getting tired of rabbits eating my garden and this put me over the edge. For what it's worth, I had the hose in my left hand and a .38 in my right.

Smoked rabbit is good!
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

There is an old Montana proverb. "Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup."

T

Hmm, that sounds like an East Texas phrase as well....
post #24 of 37
Have your wife yell at it. Works at my house. My wife yells everyone leaves.
post #25 of 37

Well unless we are talking racoon jesus here, he probably wasn't dieing. More likely he was in a warm place with plenty of food and just paid you no heed. What we likely have here is a complete and total lack of respect. Not uncommon in populated areas. Coons are smart, tough and stubborn not unlike the women in my life.68.gif I would not be surprised to find your deer pushed off and your buddy back with friends. I have found that the little bastards have an aversion to lead, funny thing, the faster it travels, the less they like it.

Funny story, someone in a local facebook group was lamenting about the family of racoons that took up residence in their shed. When I suggested more of a permanent solution, I was inundated with HOW COULD YOUs and YOUR A BAD PERSONs and the like. I simply replied to each one with a racoon recipe complete with Q view. utter BS of course but it was fun.

post #26 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleQ View Post

Well unless we are talking racoon jesus here, he probably wasn't dieing. More likely he was in a warm place with plenty of food and just paid you no heed. What we likely have here is a complete and total lack of respect. Not uncommon in populated areas. Coons are smart, tough and stubborn not unlike the women in my life.68.gif  I would not be surprised to find your deer pushed off and your buddy back with friends. I have found that the little bastards have an aversion to lead, funny thing, the faster it travels, the less they like it.
Funny story, someone in a local facebook group was lamenting about the family of racoons that took up residence in their shed. When I suggested more of a permanent solution, I was inundated with HOW COULD YOUs and YOUR A BAD PERSONs and the like. I simply replied to each one with a racoon recipe complete with Q view. utter BS of course but it was fun.
I think I'll have to agree with you, Triple. I think it just flat out wasn't afraid of me. There are a couple of people in the neighborhood who feed them. "They're so cute". Idiots! They've gotten into two attics that I know of causing costly damage. We have the same problem with chipmunks and rabbits. The folks with no gardens can't understand why we don't just love them.
I read once that if you cut the end off one of those Platex baby bottle nipples and slip it over the end of a .22 it makes an effective silencer. Then again, the "Castle" rules here in Indiana protect you from "Fear of death or serious bodily harm". A pissed off raccoon can cause serious bodily harm. We didn't get a reply to our call to "Animal Control", so we're on our own...
post #27 of 37

This has become extremely amusing. As a transplanted Hoosier, I had a learning curve to reality. Here in North Western Montana we have no animal control officers other than Game Wardens who cover areas larger than some states. Call them with a complaint involving animals that eat raccoons for lunch such as bears (black or grizzly), mountain lions, or wolves and the response may be, “What’s the matter, you out of ammo?.

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post


I think I'll have to agree with you, Triple. I think it just flat out wasn't afraid of me. There are a couple of people in the neighborhood who feed them. "They're so cute". Idiots! They've gotten into two attics that I know of causing costly damage. We have the same problem with chipmunks and rabbits. The folks with no gardens can't understand why we don't just love them.
I read once that if you cut the end off one of those Platex baby bottle nipples and slip it over the end of a .22 it makes an effective silencer. Then again, the "Castle" rules here in Indiana protect you from "Fear of death or serious bodily harm". A pissed off raccoon can cause serious bodily harm. We didn't get a reply to our call to "Animal Control", so we're on our own...

yes there are several ways to quite a firearm, but I've not heard of a bottle nipple, 2 liter bottle yes, oil filter yes, nipple no.  I own a half a dozen cans and one thing I can tell you for sure is if you get caught without paying for the stamp its big time jail time. The BATF don't play and suppressors are a hot ticket item at the moment, and lets not forget the embarrassment that would come when I told my cellmates I'm here because I stretched a latex nipple over my gun... LOLOL

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post


I think I'll have to agree with you, Triple. I think it just flat out wasn't afraid of me. There are a couple of people in the neighborhood who feed them. "They're so cute". Idiots! They've gotten into two attics that I know of causing costly damage. We have the same problem with chipmunks and rabbits. The folks with no gardens can't understand why we don't just love them.
I read once that if you cut the end off one of those Platex baby bottle nipples and slip it over the end of a .22 it makes an effective silencer. Then again, the "Castle" rules here in Indiana protect you from "Fear of death or serious bodily harm". A pissed off raccoon can cause serious bodily harm. We didn't get a reply to our call to "Animal Control", so we're on our own...


SM, quiet .22 rounds that are low velocity will do the trick. However, it sounds like your coon may be related to, or was a law school classmate of, this little fella....

 

post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0uch0 View Post


SM, quiet .22 rounds that are low velocity will do the trick. However, it sounds like your coon may be related to, or was a law school classmate of, this little fella....


Great. He could flip the cards on me in court and claim home invasion. And there are photos....
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jim View Post
 

I've been coon huntin' for a long time. Any coon that acts like that is highly suspect of being rabid.


Exactly!!

 

I've lived surrounded by woods for most of my life, and any Coon, Fox, or Possum seen during the day, even here is suspect of one type of sickness or another.

We generally shoot, bag, and bury, but I've been told that's not the right thing to do.

 

 

Bear

post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


Exactly!!

 

I've lived surrounded by woods for most of my life, and any Coon, Fox, or Possum seen during the day, even here is suspect of one type of sickness or another.

We generally shoot, bag, and bury, but I've been told that's not the right thing to do.

 

 

Bear

If there's any chance that I and/or my dogs are going to be charged, attacked and bitten by a rabid animal, I'm going to take what I feel is the best action. If somebody don't like it, they can go pack sand.

post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post


Great. He could flip the cards on me in court and claim home invasion. And there are photos....


Or squatters' rights and adverse possession in addition to the invasion.  You'd best lawyer up, SM, as this may not end well for you.    :biggrin:

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jim View Post
 

If there's any chance that I and/or my dogs are going to be charged, attacked and bitten by a rabid animal, I'm going to take what I feel is the best action. If somebody don't like it, they can go pack sand.


I agree.

 

We used to have a Lady Game Warden where I used to live.

My Sister had a Ground Hog on the patio, by the front door.

It wouldn't leave, and hissed at anybody who came to the door.

All the Men of our families were at work, so she called the Warden.

No answer, so she left a message.

No reply all day, so when my BIL got home he took it out with a Wad Cutter.

Later that night the Warden called back, and my Sister told her not to worry about it---Got tired of waiting for her, and Husband shot it.

Warden said, "He had no right".

Sis said---He has a hunting license & it was on our property (Front Porch), said "Thanks for all your help", and hung up on her!!

 

LOL

 

Bear

post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


Exactly!!

 

I've lived surrounded by woods for most of my life, and any Coon, Fox, or Possum seen during the day, even here is suspect of one type of sickness or another.

We generally shoot, bag, and bury, but I've been told that's not the right thing to do.

 

 

Bear

Cant be the stoot or the bury, must be the bag.

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
My Sister had a Ground Hog on the patio, by the front door.

 

That reminds me of a good friend's favorite phrase to describe these varmits: hissy grinners. When I first heard him use that term I asked him what he was talking about and he said, "when you come across one of these nasty animals and shine a flashlight at them, they hiss and bare their teeth: it's a hissy grinner."

 

Every time I used to try to shoo the raccoons out of the garage (the whole family always came for dinner), and they would turn at me, en masse, and give me attitude, I would actually laugh, thinking of my friend.

 

At the time all I had was a BB gun which I shot at them a few times. As you would expect, it didn't faze them. I'm properly equipped now, but even though we're rural, and there is nothing for five miles to the east, I do have houses on the other three sides.

post #37 of 37

You hiss at me, you sunny buck, an' the last thing you'll see is a bright light.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Composting
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Composting › Raccoon problem