New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hmong wings

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Has anyone done Hmong wings?  I got onto these about a year ago:  little 8 table restaurant here serving outrageous Hmong food, and their wings are on the menu.  They look very labor intensive, as the full wing is literally unrolled so you can pull the bones out of the drummy, then the flapper, leaving the tip intact.  Once deboned, the meat and skin is rolled back up, stuffed with eggroll-type filling, then smoked and flash-grilled to crisp up the skin.  Served with a sweet chili sauce on the side, they're truly amazing.

 

If anyone has any experience making these, I'd appreciate your input.

post #2 of 19

I don't have any experience making them, but they sure sound good!

 

Hope somebody knows how!

 

Al

post #3 of 19

That sounds really freaking good....... I am going to ask some asian friends about this. What ethnicity is it?

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Canuck View Post
 

That sounds really freaking good....... I am going to ask some asian friends about this. What ethnicity is it?


Hmong.  Mountainous people from China, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand.


Edited by gr0uch0 - 2/11/17 at 11:56am
post #5 of 19
That is a pain,to much work for me. I could see how they would be awesome.
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

That is a pain,to much work for me. I could see how they would be awesome.


Everything I've seen about doing them seems to be all that and then some, b-one.  There's got to be an easier way....

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0uch0 View Post
 

If anyone has any experience making these, I'd appreciate your input.

I've had Hmong wings before, and you're right. They really are great.

 

I've also had a little experience in preparing them. About 2 minutes worth at which point I said to Hell with it. It was a bridge too far.

 

I don't know where you are in Door County but I do know there's a large Hmong population in Wisconsin. I'm thinking, however, of the Appleton and Wausau areas. If there's a sizable group of Hmong near where you are there may be a market that caters to them with deboned wings on offer. If that doesn't work, ask the people at the restaurant if they do it themselves, and if not, what there source is. Also consider asking the restaurant if they will sell you some unprepared deboned wings.

 

I spent a lot of time working with the Hmong in Laos many years ago and find it funny that, although its been a very long time, I don't recall ever eating anything even remotely resembling those wings. Guess it's kind of like Chinese or Mexican foods in that once it goes through an assimilation process in the U.S., the dishes end up being items that you'll never find in the native countries.

 

Good luck.

post #8 of 19

 There used to be a great little Hmong restaurant in Appleton, but I don't remember anything resembling these wings, though. I believe WI has about the largest population of Hmong immigrants in the U.S. I've always wondered why they weren't settled someplace with a climate a bit closer to what they had left behind.

post #9 of 19

Thx. gr0uch0

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post
 

I've had Hmong wings before, and you're right. They really are great.

 

I've also had a little experience in preparing them. About 2 minutes worth at which point I said to Hell with it. It was a bridge too far.

 

I don't know where you are in Door County but I do know there's a large Hmong population in Wisconsin. I'm thinking, however, of the Appleton and Wausau areas. If there's a sizable group of Hmong near where you are there may be a market that caters to them with deboned wings on offer. If that doesn't work, ask the people at the restaurant if they do it themselves, and if not, what there source is. Also consider asking the restaurant if they will sell you some unprepared deboned wings.

 

I spent a lot of time working with the Hmong in Laos many years ago and find it funny that, although its been a very long time, I don't recall ever eating anything even remotely resembling those wings. Guess it's kind of like Chinese or Mexican foods in that once it goes through an assimilation process in the U.S., the dishes end up being items that you'll never find in the native countries.

 

Good luck.


Your "bridge too far" analogy is spot on, dls:  trying to bone out a wing and keep the meat and skin intact for stuffing appears largely equivalent to catching a dozen greased pigs.

 

You're also right about the large population in WI:  the place I frequent is in Green Bay, and everything I've had there is amazing.  I may ask them if they get them in from their supplier already boned out, and who it is:  thanks for the idea.  Although you have me a little perplexed:  in one area, you state that you'd have Hmong wings and they're great, but in another you said you don't recall eating anything similar.

post #11 of 19

^^^^Groucho, I took his two statements to mean: 1) he has eaten Hmong wings, consumed within this country.

                                                                              2)  while personally working with Hmong, within the borders of Laos, he does not remember this dish being prepared.

post #12 of 19
I watched a video on making these. These were boned out with the meat and skin left intact forming a tube. The girl knew what she was doing and took 4 minutes to bone one wing. Each member of my crew could eat 6 and there are 6 of us. That would be over 2 hours prep. I have spent more time prepping a meal but these wings would still be a lot of work and a meal reserved for a special occasion. Might try them some time. If they can be made by cutting open, filling and rolling, they can be easily made from boneless thighs...JJ
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks, JJ, that's pretty much what I thought.  If I've got a couple of free days to prep a dozen or so, I may take a crack at them.  Otherwise, $2.75 each--and they're on my table within about 5 minutes--really isn't too bad after all....

post #14 of 19
A good alternative, is to use thighs with skin. Remove skin, save. Slice meat into strips. Lay out skin add strips and filling. Roll like a cigar cook.

Same great taste not as much work as wings.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0uch0 View Post
 

Has anyone done Hmong wings?  I got onto these about a year ago:  little 8 table restaurant here serving outrageous Hmong food, and their wings are on the menu.  They look very labor intensive, as the full wing is literally unrolled so you can pull the bones out of the drummy, then the flapper, leaving the tip intact.  Once deboned, the meat and skin is rolled back up, stuffed with eggroll-type filling, then smoked and flash-grilled to crisp up the skin.  Served with a sweet chili sauce on the side, they're truly amazing.

 

If anyone has any experience making these, I'd appreciate your input.

That is wild I did a search and found a lot of U Tube vids

Richie

post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I saw a couple of those videos also, Richie. I may try doing them down the road if I have a week or so of free time. All the cussin' you'll hear then? Yep, it will be me. biggrin.gif
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0uch0 View Post

Yeah, I saw a couple of those videos also, Richie. I may try doing them down the road if I have a week or so of free time. All the cussin' you'll hear then? Yep, it will be me. biggrin.gif

I take the bones out of Chicken and stuff them,wive wants me to do Quail she is funny

Richie

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
 

^^^^Groucho, I took his two statements to mean: 1) he has eaten Hmong wings, consumed within this country.

                                                                       2)  while personally working with Hmong, within the borders of Laos, he does not remember this dish being prepared.

That's correct.

 

1) I've had the wings at Hmong owned restaurants in the U.S.

2) While with the Hmong in Laos, I ate many of their native dishes, but don't recall anything like the wings. One reason might have been the fact that there were no traditional restaurants involved, just a few basic food stalls and shacks. Also, the dining circumstances weren't particularly social and celebratory.


Edited by dls1 - 2/12/17 at 8:30am
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post
 

That's correct.

 

1) I've had the wings at Hmong owned restaurants in the U.S.

2) While with the Hmong in Laos, I ate many of their native dishes, but don't recall anything like the wings. One reason might have been the fact that there were no traditional restaurants involved, just a few basic food stalls and shacks. Also, the dining circumstances weren't particularly social and celebratory.


Got it, dls:  many thanks.  Now if I can just come up with a "wing corer", kinda like the one I use for whole jalapenos, I might be onto something....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry