Clearing out my Spam folder this morning I noticed an e-mail from Spring Hill Nurseries confirming that my Japanese Stewartia will be delivered March 9th-11th, that means that I will be working on the stump the rest of the week and the back hill will have to wait.
March 8th, 2017
Well when I got home today, the tree was here, I think they shipped too soon, Looks like I will be doing the front yard tomorrow.
March 9th, 2017
With the early arrival of the tree, I had to knock this out ASAP, thank goodness the weather was nice. I didn't get the whole stump out but got a good bit of it out to plant the new tree. I actually would have kept going if I didn't have a slight mishap with the Sawzall, after I got hurt I said Bullshit, if the tree dies it dies, at this point I was beyond frustrated!
- I also started the fence today, picked up six 8' 4"x4" PT posts earlier this week. The bottoms are coated with roofing muck.
- I got 4 of the posts in today. A few of the post holes were exactly where the arborvitae stumps were so I had to dig them out, I used a sawzall to help remove the stumps. Each hole was dug a bit deeper than 24" then the post were set in place and temporarily secured to the fence using copper wire. The holes were then filled with Marble Chips and topped with a bit of soil, then adjusted.
- Removing the stumps wasn't too bad, and once I got down about 10" or so I was past the roots and although the soil was pretty much clay, digging with a shovel, a post hole digger and a bum hand wasn't too bad. OH! I didn't mention the hand incident, well I had a little accident with the Sawzall removing the stump out front. After a bit of tape and a rag and 4 advil, I was back in action.
This weekend is shot due to the weather and the next two weekends will be shot due to Birthdays, Parties and a weekend canoe trip. I can at least finish removing the stuff from the hill and maybe burn the rest of the arborvitaes and red maple tree if the 100MPH winds would ever stop.
March 11th-12th, 2017
Well, this weekend was shot so I played in my workshop.
The plants are all doing well, I had more rosemary pop, a Fengyuan Eggplant sprout, the parsley came up and a couple more ghost chili's The only thing I have been having trouble with are my California wonder seeds, nothing has germinated yet. Nothing from the Gerbera Daisy yet either.
Then looking around the workshop I found another spot to expand to another 36. Armed with a plan, it was off to Home Depot.
I expanded my growing space a bit. By topping off the solo cups I can get 18 per tray comfortably so I went from 60 to 72 on the grow table.
I need to stay out of Home Depot or more specifically the seed area, I stopped over HD to pick up a few timers for my expanded grow area and picked up a packet of Box Car Willie Tomato Seeds and Abe Lincoln Tomato Seeds.
When I got home, I hooked these shop lights up to a timer, set for 18 hours and put a fan on the work bench that is set to go on for twenty minutes three times a day. I grabbed a board I had laying around, put in some eye bolts, popped 4 anchors in the ceiling and popped in some eye bolts and used Heavy Gauge copper wire for the supports, I'll change these out with light duty chain when I get a chance, but for now it was what I had and I wasn't going back out again.
These are 6000k LED light that I originally bought for the grow table but due to the type of bulb, I couldn't use them on the grow table, electrical stuff I wont go into right now.
This works out great, it is just the right height to work under it without bumping my head, it does block a little light from the work shop table but not too much.
Right now I have a few Jalapeno, Poblano and Marigold plants up there as a control, I will be checking them every day to see if the lights and area are adequate.
This brings me from 60 plants to 108 plants.
March 16th, 2017
- Still not able to get outside, everything is under 6" of snow and ice!
- It has been 5 days and the 36+ plants are doing well under the new grow area, so I think it is safe to say that the heat, air flow and and lighting under these lights are adequate.