or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork butt question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pork butt question

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I'm doing a 10lb butt tomorrow morning. Anyone have suggestions on times? The biggest one I've done is 7lb and that was 8 hours. Thinking I need to get it on by 430am to eat by 5 or 6pm
post #2 of 7

What temp you planning on smoking at ?  I usually smoke at 225º  Butts can handle higher temps really well, You can crank it up to 250 -275 to improve on your cooking time

 

Gary

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post

What temp you planning on smoking at ?  I usually smoke at 225º  Butts can handle higher temps really well, You can crank it up to 250 -275 to improve on your cooking time

Gary
I was thinking about going 240-250
post #4 of 7
I would guess 10 hours at that temp.
You planning on wrapping the butt during the cook? Because that would help it get through the stall.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcookin View Post

I would guess 10 hours at that temp.
You planning on wrapping the butt during the cook? Because that would help it get through the stall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcookin View Post

I would guess 10 hours at that temp.
You planning on wrapping the butt during the cook? Because that would help it get through the stall.

I usually wrap it once it hits 165 internal temp. I am concerned the stall time might be 2 hours with that big of a butt
post #6 of 7

I normally smoke butt around 8 lbs  and figure 10 - 12 hours    Crank it up to 275º for the first couple of hours then let it fall back to 250º

you should be OK

 

Gary

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post

I normally smoke butt around 8 lbs  and figure 10 - 12 hours    Crank it up to 275º for the first couple of hours then let it fall back to 250º
you should be OK

Gary
Thanks I appreciate it.. I will do that.. I will start high and back it down a little after a few hours
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork butt question