or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Prime Rib Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prime Rib Help

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Still new to smoking meat on my Red Tec and wanted some help, ideas or feed back on cooking Prime Rib. So far I have done Ribs, Brisket, Chicken, Smoked twice baked potatoes and Pork Butt. All of them have turned out great. My next smoking adventure is going to be a prime rib, I plan to buy a 12 to 14 pounder to feed 13 people with leftovers. I plan to smoke at 250 for about 40 min per pound to get an internal temp of 130 (i like med rare). rest for 30 before serving.That would take 9.5 hours on the smoker.

 

Does this should like a good plan of action or can anyone suggest a better plan.

 

Thanks

post #2 of 13
Your time frame is a bit off.

For a beef roast, it's all about the thickness of the roast not weight. With a 30-45 rest once it's off the smoker is figure around 3-4 hours tops.
post #3 of 13

For prime rib forget the time frame. Internal temp is where it's at. It's the only cut of meat I put a temp probe in before going on the smoker. I pull mine at about 126 to 128 tent foil for 45 minutes to a hour. Comes out perfect medium rare with a couple pieces towards the middle on the more rare side. We do prime rib every year at the hunting shack for about 12 of us guys. I usually buy two 8lb roasts.

 

I check the temp often on prime rib. Once they get up to 115 internal temp I seen them really take off. Almost the opposite of a stall. They can go from 115 to 120 in a half hour and then to your target temp in another half hour. That's been my experience anyhow.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellwood View Post
 

Still new to smoking meat on my Red Tec and wanted some help, ideas or feed back on cooking Prime Rib. So far I have done Ribs, Brisket, Chicken, Smoked twice baked potatoes and Pork Butt. All of them have turned out great. My next smoking adventure is going to be a prime rib, I plan to buy a 12 to 14 pounder to feed 13 people with leftovers. I plan to smoke at 250 for about 40 min per pound to get an internal temp of 130 (i like med rare). rest for 30 before serving.That would take 9.5 hours on the smoker.

 

Does this should like a good plan of action or can anyone suggest a better plan.

 

Thanks


Hi rellwood,

Like has been said above, Prime Rib smokes go by thickness, not weight.

 

So below is one of my Best Smoked Prime Ribs, in Step by Step Form.

If you do everything exactly the same, a 12 to 14 pounder might take a half hour longer, if it's the same thickness:

 

Smoked Prime Rib (47th Anniversary Dinner)

 

 

Bear

 

post #5 of 13

I smoke my PR's at 210-215 and they only take about 3-4 hours to get to 125, which is where we like them.

 

The last one I did was a 4 bone and it was done in 4 hours & 10 minutes. I rested it on the counter for 1/2 hour & the carryover cooking took it up to 132. It was still rare to med/rare.

Also the center pieces will be rarer than the outside pieces & if anyone wants it a little more done, just put their piece on a grill or back in the smoker for a few minutes.

 

Smoking at 250 & shooting for 130, I just can't see how it would take anywhere near 9 hours.

Maybe half that time would be a better guess.

 

Al

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

Smoking at 250 & shooting for 130, I just can't see how it would take anywhere near 9 hours.

Maybe half that time would be a better guess.

 

Al

 

I agree, I use 220°, and I would guess at 220°, it would only take about 4 1/2 to 5 hours to get to 140°.

 

 

Bear

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for your post.  I'm feeling a bit better about the time frame for this. My main concern was just not having it done in time, About two weekends ago I did a brisket and it turned out great but I was having dinner 3 hours after I had plan to. Lets just say the cocktail hour became 4 hours long. I just place the meat order and I will be getting a 6 rib prime. Will be cooking this the long weekend and will post results.

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellwood View Post
 

Thank you all for your post.  I'm feeling a bit better about the time frame for this. My main concern was just not having it done in time, About two weekends ago I did a brisket and it turned out great but I was having dinner 3 hours after I had plan to. Lets just say the cocktail hour became 4 hours long. I just place the meat order and I will be getting a 6 rib prime. Will be cooking this the long weekend and will post results.


Oh Yeah---Brisket is much different:

You have to take it to at least 195°, and you have to break it down to get it tender.

They are all different, and you can't predict how long one will take.

 

Prime Rib is much easier to predict the finished time.

 

Best to you & your Prime Rib---Don't forget the Pics!!

 

 

Bear

post #9 of 13
I did a 14lb PR a few weeks ago. Smoked at 220* and it took 4.5 hrs to get it to 135*. Mine was boneless.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 


Thank you Mowin, just pick up my prime rib and it 15.5 pounds, bones on (the meat is cut and tied to the bones). i'm thinking 4.5 to 5 hours. Looking forward to cooking this.

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thank you for all the input, the prime rib came out great, not much left over. Went on the grill at 11:00 am at 225F, around 2:00pm dropped the temp to 185F (was cooking fast), at 4:00pm turned up the team to 400F for the final half hour to bring the prime rib up to 130F. Then rested the rib for 1/2 an hour. Next time will have to get a larger cut of meat or invite fewer guest so there will be more leftovers.

post #12 of 13

Looks Great Rellwood!!!:drool----:points:

 

Very Nice Job!!Thumbs Up

 

You can always get a couple smaller ones---Gotta figure for leftovers!!!

 

Bear

post #13 of 13
That looks great. I'd snack on some of that for sure.drool.gif

points.gif.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Prime Rib Help