or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Grilling Chicken › Special sauce etc....needed for crisp poultry skin?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Special sauce etc....needed for crisp poultry skin?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

The answer to the question is NO it isn't ...but first there's nothing on this chicken quarter. There was no oil, no mayonaise, no special sauce or no seasoning/salt and it was tap on it sounding crispy.

I had left one of those bags of chicken quarters in the crisper of the fridge and forgot about it till it was a week or so after it's expiration. I used to throw out chicken like that but I forgot that dogs can still eat. I usually mix up some chicken with the old pooches food but didn't have much to put in it this morning and he wouldn't eat. That's why I broke out these expired quarters I had frozen just for the dogs.... free fuel for the 007 so it's getting grilled.


Back to the chicken skin..Yea crispy as all get out, just flip skin side down for a while and the fats will render and turn crisp. For all those that grill try using something that will give you more distance between your charcoal fire then the skin can spend more time facing the direct heat with no black burning. Anyways that's the tip of the day!


Oh the hush puppies were for me! Nice and crisp but moist inside. Yum!

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 16
Nice and crispy!
post #3 of 16
I would have still ate that chicken if it smelled good from the bag.
post #4 of 16
My guess,you could smell the stink opening the fridge!
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

I would have still ate that chicken if it smelled good from the bag.

It did but still feel funny about it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

My guess,you could smell the stink opening the fridge!


No, the bag is sealed so no odor but being a week after the date on the bag is all for the pooches...cheap enough meat

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Nice and crispy!

 

Fried pork rind crisp!

post #7 of 16
I debunked this years ago. All you need is heat to crisp chicken skin. There are those stubborn smokers though that need to go lower temp. That's where the witch craft comes in to aid their chicken to have decent skin.

Some say high temp isn't smoking, but that's bull. If smoke is hitting the meat you are smoking! Long live the high temp smokers!
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

I debunked this years ago. All you need is heat to crisp chicken skin. There are those stubborn smokers though that need to go lower temp. That's where the witch craft comes in to aid their chicken to have decent skin.

Some say high temp isn't smoking, but that's bull. If smoke is hitting the meat you are smoking! Long live the high temp smokers!


Higher heat is good but being fair I could cook @ 250 over a fire and the infra red searing energy does wonders to crisp.  Now that said Case the people that try 250* w/o good infra red or indirect...oh well, better break out the voodoo!

post #9 of 16

Your chicken looks delicious!

 

Al

post #10 of 16

Chicken looks good,lucky pouch If you have to cook lots of chicken for them,you would love a store I just found Leg Quarters 19 cents a pound

Richie

post #11 of 16

Richie-

 

Is this store you speak of in MA???

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH313 View Post
 

Richie-

 

Is this store you speak of in MA???

No it is in Jersey sorry

Richie

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Chicken looks good,lucky pouch If you have to cook lots of chicken for them,you would love a store I just found Leg Quarters 19 cents a pound

Richie


Holy cow!  

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

Your chicken looks delicious!

 

Al

Thanks Al, it's almost fit for Human consumption!

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 

And the last of the dog food chicken...all incredibly crisp with simple fire. Will get shredded and vac sealed in portions marked doggy chicken!

 

 

 

post #16 of 16

Looking at that I wish I was a dog! That looks delish!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Chicken
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Grilling Chicken › Special sauce etc....needed for crisp poultry skin?