SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Bread-n-Butter Pickles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bread-n-Butter Pickles

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
While I was busy making copious amounts of Al's garlic dill pickles, I decided to try a batch of Bread-n-Butter pickles. Recipe follows below. These are probably some of my favorite pickles and I actually saved the recipe his time. Sorry no Q-view on these, I'll get some on the next batch this weekend.

I forgot how much I love pickles!

Recipe:


1/2 onion, thinly sliced - I used my mandolin and a plain white onion

2-3 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced again on the mandolin

1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1.5 cups sugar
1 TBS kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon pickling spice


Combine onion and cucumber slices in a medium size (1qt) Foodsaver canister.

Combine the remaining ingredients bring to a boil for a few minutes .

Pour the hot liquid and spices over the onion and cucumber slices, filling the jar (I had some room left in the jar, about an inch or so). Allow the pickles to cool to room temperature, then vacuum seal and park in the fridge.

I just tried mine after 5 days and they are great! I imagine they'll only get better with time.

Note: since you're slicing these cucumbers thin, they won't be super crispy like the garlic dill recipe.
post #2 of 12

Your really working that vac canister!

 

Looks like a great recipe!

 

Al

post #3 of 12

Next time you make these, slide a couple habanero peppers across the mandolin.

 

Trust me, you'll never want another pickle on your burger.

 

Plus, you'll be asked if there are carrots in your pickles.

 

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopypuss View Post

Next time you make these, slide a couple habanero peppers across the mandolin.

Trust me, you'll never want another pickle on your burger.

Plus, you'll be asked if there are carrots in your pickles.



I'll definitely try that with the next batch. I tried some pickles at a winery in the fall. They were called Sandy's Fire B&B's. I loved them!
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopypuss View Post
 

Next time you make these, slide a couple habanero peppers across the mandolin.

 

Trust me, you'll never want another pickle on your burger.

 

Plus, you'll be asked if there are carrots in your pickles.

 

Yeah, dried chilis, like they use in Famous Dave's Pickles and the Vlasic "artisan" pickles, don't work.

 

This season, I'm going to make a batch with Carolina Reaper Peppers sliced in. I had a bumper crop last year, so this year should be just as good.

post #6 of 12

I have a jar of this up in the canning pantry, never used it. Anyone have any experience with it? Sounds like these B&B pickles might be a good place to try some. There just ain't enough hours in the day! LOL

 

https://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-pickle-crisp-granules-5.5-oz.-1034061VM.html

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

I have a jar of this up in the canning pantry, never used it. Anyone have any experience with it? Sounds like these B&B pickles might be a good place to try some. There just ain't enough hours in the day! LOL

 

https://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-pickle-crisp-granules-5.5-oz.-1034061VM.html

 

Give it a go and let us know....  OK...    I've never used it... 

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

I have a jar of this up in the canning pantry, never used it. Anyone have any experience with it? Sounds like these B&B pickles might be a good place to try some. There just ain't enough hours in the day! LOL

 

https://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-pickle-crisp-granules-5.5-oz.-1034061VM.html


Never used it, so I'm looking forward to hearing the results myself.

 

If you have a grapevine around, a fresh grape leaf in each jar also promotes crunch.

post #9 of 12

I use pickle crisp in dill pickles and it works well.     

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

Your really working that vac canister!

 

Looks like a great recipe!

 

Al

Al, I saw this post and looked at your updated post using the vac seal canister.

I have both the regular and wide mouth vac seal adapter for mason jars.

Am I right in thinking a quart mason jar would work instead of the canister so the pickling time is reduced to just a few days?

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
 

Al, I saw this post and looked at your updated post using the vac seal canister.

I have both the regular and wide mouth vac seal adapter for mason jars.

Am I right in thinking a quart mason jar would work instead of the canister so the pickling time is reduced to just a few days?

 

Yes you are correct, as long as it's under vacuum it will pickle much faster.

It doesn't matter what kind of container you use.

 

Al

post #12 of 12

Thanks Al.

Now I have another rabbit hole to wander down. Pickles!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Canning & Storage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Bread-n-Butter Pickles