or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › MED 30" Cover Badly Made
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MED 30" Cover Badly Made

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I just posted a very negative review on Amazon about the Masterbuilt 30" cover and I thought I'd share it here. I wish we were allowed to post links because it would sure help with this post (there MUST be a way to keep the sponsors happy and still provide a way to make these posts more helpful by providing links).

 

Anyway, the bottom line is that the MES 30" cover, designed, marketed, and sold by Masterbuilt, is a completely and totally worthless product. I have searched for alternatives on this forum and it looks like the "Classic Accessories 55-046-042401-00 Hickory Heavy Duty Square Smoker Cover" may fit (again, I wish I could provide a link), and do all the things the Masterbuilt cover did not.

 

If anyone has a better cover to suggest, I'm all ears.

 

 

Here's my review.

-----------------------------

 

Let me start this negative review by stating the one positive: this cover fits the Masterbuilt 30" smoker perfectly.

 

Unfortunately, it fails on all other counts and, ultimately, simply fails.

 

I purchased this in November 2015 to cover my Masterbuilt 30" smoker that I had been given as a gift the previous month (I am writing this in August 2016). When the cover arrived, I put it on and was immediately struck by how cheaply made it is. The material is very thin and very flimsy. It turns out that this deficiency is really important and leads to all the other problems with this product that I describe below.

 

Two days after I purchased the product, I was passing by the smoker and noticed that the cover was not on the smoker. I looked around and found it about twenty feet away. Apparently, during the night, we had a little breeze and it got under the cover and lifted it right off the smoker. It turns out that the cover provides no way of fastening it to the smoker, and because it is so lightweight, any breeze at all (this was not a major wind) gets underneath the cover, inflates it, and promptly lifts it right up off the smoker. Then, because it is almost as lights as a plastic bag, it blows away. The first time it happened, I didn't think much about it and simply put the cover back on again. Then it happened again. And again. And again.

 

My solution to this was to put two small sticks across the top, with a brick on top of the sticks. Problem solved ...

 

... except that a few weeks later we had one of our first big rains of the season. I live on the Central Coast in California, and we don't get rain for six months out of the year, especially during the drought of the past three years. So, this was the first chance to see how well the cover protected the smoker. After the rain was over, I pulled off the cover to use the smoker and was distressed to find out that the smoker -- including the sensitive control box -- were just as wet as if I had not put a cover on in the first place. What I found after a little testing is that the darn thing is not waterproof, not water resistant, not water anything. Therefore, it is nothing more than a dust cover !!! What a joke.

 

So, from that point forward, when rain was forecast, I carted the smoker into the garage. This is a pain, but I obviously cannot rely on this cover to provide any form of protection.

 

But it gets worse.

 

About a month ago, after not having used the smoker for several weeks, I went out to take off the cover and found that the top had completely bleached out. You may not be able to see it in the attached photo, but the top has turned to a white-gray, whereas the sides are still mostly the original dark black.

 

 

 

 

Then, two days ago, I went out to prepare the smoker for some ribs, and I found that the cover is now full of holes. While it is possible that this is some sort of rodent, I cannot find any traces of rodent activity. I think the darn thing is just rotting out. Cheap synthetic material often goes brittle in the sun, but not usually after only nine months, and not with the mild sun we have here on the Central Coast in California.

 

So, bottom line: this is a worthless product which fails to do its basic task of protecting your smoker. It does not repel water which, as Masterbuilt owners well know, can ruin both the electronic control, as well as get into the junction box where the power cord enters the smoker. I live in the most temperate climate in the country, with almost all days about 72 degrees, with very little rain, and partial overcast most days from the coastal fog. I do not, however, live near the ocean, so salt air has nothing to do with this problem.

 

Don't buy this cover.

post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
 

I just posted a very negative review on Amazon about the Masterbuilt 30" cover and I thought I'd share it here. I wish we were allowed to post links because it would sure help with this post (there MUST be a way to keep the sponsors happy and still provide a way to make these posts more helpful by providing links).

 

Anyway, the bottom line is that the MES 30" cover, designed, marketed, and sold by Masterbuilt, is a completely and totally worthless product. I have searched for alternatives on this forum and it looks like the "Classic Accessories 55-046-042401-00 Hickory Heavy Duty Square Smoker Cover" may fit (again, I wish I could provide a link), and do all the things the Masterbuilt cover did not.

 

If anyone has a better cover to suggest, I'm all ears.

 

 

Here's my review.

-----------------------------

 

Let me start this negative review by stating the one positive: this cover fits the Masterbuilt 30" smoker perfectly.

 

Unfortunately, it fails on all other counts and, ultimately, simply fails.

 

I purchased this in November 2015 to cover my Masterbuilt 30" smoker that I had been given as a gift the previous month (I am writing this in August 2016). When the cover arrived, I put it on and was immediately struck by how cheaply made it is. The material is very thin and very flimsy. It turns out that this deficiency is really important and leads to all the other problems with this product that I describe below.

 

Two days after I purchased the product, I was passing by the smoker and noticed that the cover was not on the smoker. I looked around and found it about twenty feet away. Apparently, during the night, we had a little breeze and it got under the cover and lifted it right off the smoker. It turns out that the cover provides no way of fastening it to the smoker, and because it is so lightweight, any breeze at all (this was not a major wind) gets underneath the cover, inflates it, and promptly lifts it right up off the smoker. Then, because it is almost as lights as a plastic bag, it blows away. The first time it happened, I didn't think much about it and simply put the cover back on again. Then it happened again. And again. And again.

 

My solution to this was to put two small sticks across the top, with a brick on top of the sticks. Problem solved ...

 

... except that a few weeks later we had one of our first big rains of the season. I live on the Central Coast in California, and we don't get rain for six months out of the year, especially during the drought of the past three years. So, this was the first chance to see how well the cover protected the smoker. After the rain was over, I pulled off the cover to use the smoker and was distressed to find out that the smoker -- including the sensitive control box -- were just as wet as if I had not put a cover on in the first place. What I found after a little testing is that the darn thing is not waterproof, not water resistant, not water anything. Therefore, it is nothing more than a dust cover !!! What a joke.

 

So, from that point forward, when rain was forecast, I carted the smoker into the garage. This is a pain, but I obviously cannot rely on this cover to provide any form of protection.

 

But it gets worse.

 

About a month ago, after not having used the smoker for several weeks, I went out to take off the cover and found that the top had completely bleached out. You may not be able to see it in the attached photo, but the top has turned to a white-gray, whereas the sides are still mostly the original dark black.

 

 

 

 

Then, two days ago, I went out to prepare the smoker for some ribs, and I found that the cover is now full of holes. While it is possible that this is some sort of rodent, I cannot find any traces of rodent activity. I think the darn thing is just rotting out. Cheap synthetic material often goes brittle in the sun, but not usually after only nine months, and not with the mild sun we have here on the Central Coast in California.

 

So, bottom line: this is a worthless product which fails to do its basic task of protecting your smoker. It does not repel water which, as Masterbuilt owners well know, can ruin both the electronic control, as well as get into the junction box where the power cord enters the smoker. I live in the most temperate climate in the country, with almost all days about 72 degrees, with very little rain, and partial overcast most days from the coastal fog. I do not, however, live near the ocean, so salt air has nothing to do with this problem.

 

Don't buy this cover.


I didn't know about not posting links.  If someone could direct me to the rules I'd appreciate it.  I Just put up a thermometer link to Amazon I guess that needs to be erased.

-Kurt

post #3 of 15


I see the two stick marks and brick mark that shaded the cover on top from the sun,  keeping it dark.

-Kurt

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 


I didn't know about not posting links.  If someone could direct me to the rules I'd appreciate it.  I Just put up a thermometer link to Amazon I guess that needs to be erased.

-Kurt


The rules are really buried, but they do exist:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/user-guidelines

 

The relevant rule is the last one listed, and it states: "Posting links to other websites or forums is not allowed under most circumstances." When this has been discussed in the past, the reasons given was that they want to protect their advertisers. I can certainly understand this because there are some great advertisers here, many of whom also contribute to the discussions. However, it sure makes it tough to make my posts as informative as I would like.

post #5 of 15
post #6 of 15

I think links are fine as long as you do not post a link to a competing forum. 

post #7 of 15
I just grabbed a can of water-proofing spray I had laying around the we bought for shoes. Wetted the top of the cover with it an hour later it rained. Water puddled on the top but did not go through.
post #8 of 15

As far as links go, if your link is informative & necessary it will probably be OK.

 

But links to other smoking sites or any kind of advertising will probably be deleted.

 

You Tube videos are a no no.

 

You can embed a video in your post, but not a link to You tube.

 

For the cover question, I'm in Florida & the sun just disintegrates any smoker cover that I have ever had.

 

It doesn't matter who made it.

 

My solution is to just split a large heavy duty garbage bag down the seams & put it over the smoker then put the cover over that.

 

Never had any water get inside with that setup, and the afternoon storms we get here are very large & can drop 1 to 2 inches of rain in a half hour.

 

All my smokers are outside & they stay dry this way.

 

Al

post #9 of 15
Al, I took your suggestion and went the garbage bag route...for now. Thanks!
post #10 of 15
I use a classic accesories taupe cover and have had no issues...it fits perfect and also my smoker sits outside on my patio.
post #11 of 15
Wild, do you have a link or a detailed descrip I can Google search? Thanks
post #12 of 15

Great post that discusses the same shortcomings of the MES cover...as I have the same issues as the OP. So far I have used the trash bag idea under my cover with success, but I also really like the water proofing spray idea.

 

Once I get a day off from work I think I may try some shoe spray on water proofer I have as well.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkster52 View Post

Wild, do you have a link or a detailed descrip I can Google search? Thanks
. This is the one i have. Classic accessories 55-174-015101-EC ravenna square smoker cover. As i said it fits perfect hasnt leaked yet. I have it on my mes 30" 2.0.
post #14 of 15

I had the same experience with the Masterbuilt cover...it faded and started coming apart in less than a year. Like others here, I turned to the garbage bag solution.

 

For the record, the 42 gallon size lawn waste bag fits my MES like it was made for it. I figured that I would be putting a new one on every couple of months but the plastic bag has lasted over a year and still has life in it. The 3 mil thickness is extremely durable but you do have to be careful not to snag the bag on a corner when putting it on.

 

This .50 cent solution has already outlasted the $20 MES cover.

post #15 of 15

I guess it depends on where you keep the covered smoker, and what you expect from it.

 

I never imagined it would protect mine from rain or snow, but I keep my Smoker on my front porch, with roof.

It gets only windblown rain and snow, so the little bit of rain or occasional 2" of snow on the top have not penetrated it.

The one I had out there for 6 years has indeed turned to a pale Gray, but I have no holes in any of my covers.

Also when I first got my original cover, I noticed the cover had worked it's way up a few inches, so I put a foil covered brick I had laying out there on top, and I still use that same brick for that reason.

 

I've had a few Gas Grill covers in the past that left the grill just as wet as it would have been without the cover, but those were kept out in the uncovered driveway.

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › MED 30" Cover Badly Made