I have been accumulating Amazon.com gift cards and have been thinking about getting a warming box. I have done the foil towel cooler thing for a while but since I have the gift cards I was thinking why not make life a little easier and look into one of these. My immediate family alone is 27 people so I am often cooking for big groups and having an easy to use warmer could definitely ease the stress for me. This is the box I am considering:
I just had a few questions that I thought some of you can answer.
1. Do these always have to preheated and if so how? (Boiling water in a pan on the lowest rack?)
2. Do they keep food warm well if they are not completely packed with food?(Sometimes I might just want to keep a couple of racks of ribs or a brisket warm)
3. For meats that you cook to rare/medium is the heat in the box significant enough that you have to calculate for carryover cooking?
4. Are hotel pans a necessity or are reasonably loaded foil pans sufficient?
5. They advertise 4 hours of keeping your food at safe temps but is that just to cover their butts because I've had food piping hot from a well packed cooler for 5-6-7 hours
6. Would the outside temperature affect how warm things are kept (example: would food stay warmer longer if used outdoors on a hot day as opposed to indoors in an air conditioned house)
That's all I can think of for now haha. I stress over my purchases so any advice would definitely be helpful.