or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Butts and SQWIBS Mac and cheese
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Butts and SQWIBS Mac and cheese

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

It was hot here this weekend so I thought I would do a couple pork butts to get ready for elk camp,,,, This will be a good sammy while we are on the trail hiking. 

 

Since I can't seem to kill anything in the last couple years I have to load the camper pretty heavy with food. 

 

Here are the players,,, found these two little piggies in the freezer,,, they were going to be sausage but too hot for that. 

 

 

 

 

A couple of different rubs,,

 

 

 

coated in mustard on each then each with a rub. 

 

 

 

Wrapped and into the fridge for a overnight stay,,, 

 

 

and so into the smoker the next morning at 225* and I am using Mesquite pellets should be good. Nice Thin blue smoke!!:sausage:

 

And as you can see my Mater plants in the back ground are getting over taken and not producing very well. :th_crybaby2:

 

 

SO now as that smokes I got to thinking what I needed to do for a side,,,, Yep Mac and cheese,,, Liked my first and last one I did but wanted it creamier, so I found Sqwibs recipe and thought I would give it a go. 

 

I did not boil the mac,,, put it in dry and added just a bit more milk, and did not do the hot sauce and wife and kids said no way,,,Silly kids huh!!!

 

here is the recipe for the mac and cheese 

 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon red hot
  • 1 lb. American cheese
  • 1 lb of Velveeta cheese
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
  • 1 cup sour cream

 

 

I did not do the topping and I smoked this at 250* for 2 1/2 hours and turned out great - Thanks SQWIB!!!!!

 

Everything in except for the Shredded cheese on top 

 

 

Here is is covered on top with Shredded chedder cheese, 

 

 

after 2 1/2hrs - BINGO!!!! Dinner is ready 

 

 

Ready to dig in ,,,, butts took about 11hrs to get to 205*IT 

 

 

bone pulled out great!!

 

I hope I will have enough for Elk camp LOL this is good. 

 

 

 

I like mine with no butt just meat and Mac and cheese - This was the best Mac and cheese we have had yet. 

 

Picture does not do justice!!! I don't know if the sour cream never broke down or what,, that is the white in the pic but it was great just the way it was,,,left overs are to die for 

 

 

Thanks again Sqwib!! 

 

I Think the next time I do this,, one will be for the family and one for me,, I may put in condensed Nacho feista soup mix in it and kick it up a notch. 

 

Thanks for looking. 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS
 

post #2 of 16
Looks great,that's a load of cheese for sure!
post #3 of 16
Which butt did you like better? Cajun spice is tasty!.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Which butt did you like better? Cajun spice is tasty!.

Haven't tried the Cajun Spice I am trying to save that one for Elk camp,,, We are finishing the Sweet Mesquite one now and that one is really good. 

 

DS
 

post #5 of 16

Looks amazing DS, I am going to have to try the M&C, sure looks mighty tasty.

 

Keep up the good work and best of luck in the elk camp my friend... and, if you see any wolves, well, you know what to do.

 

post #6 of 16
That looks great. I am trying different smoked mac n cheese. Gonna try this one.
post #7 of 16
Awesome cook all the way around DS ! I could go for a plate or two of that ! Very nice ! icon14.gif Hope ya can bring home some meat this fall too !

beercheer.gif
post #8 of 16
Looks great DS! When and where is Elk camp again?????? Looks like I need to crash your party. What's this hiking you refer too? I'll be camp food guard!

Points!
post #9 of 16

Nice job, DS!

 

Everything looks delicious!

 

Point!

 

Al

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheelerdog View Post
 

Looks amazing DS, I am going to have to try the M&C, sure looks mighty tasty.

 

Keep up the good work and best of luck in the elk camp my friend... and, if you see any wolves, well, you know what to do.

 

Thanks RHD,,, Ya I know what to do with them there wolves LOL but I think the good ol boys from these small towns have put a good dent in them.

 

DS

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

That looks great. I am trying different smoked mac n cheese. Gonna try this one.

Thanks, and yep you will like this one I think give it a try,,, Sqwib I think mastered it. 

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Awesome cook all the way around DS ! I could go for a plate or two of that ! Very nice ! icon14.gif Hope ya can bring home some meat this fall too !

beercheer.gif

Thanks WHB,,,, Ya I hope I can feel the freezer also,,, I did get drawn for a extra doe tag so that will help,,, If I can connect LOL 

 

DS

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks great DS! When and where is Elk camp again?????? Looks like I need to crash your party. What's this hiking you refer too? I'll be camp food guard!

Points!

Thanks DS,,,, We hike fro the cooler back to the lawn chair,,, stressful work 

 

DS

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

Nice job, DS!

 

Everything looks delicious!

 

Point!

 

Al

Thanks Al,,, yeppers very good 

 

DS

post #14 of 16

That is a good looking plate, brother! I might have to try the mac & cheese this weekend.

post #15 of 16

Fantastic and thanks for the Kudos.

 

 

 

"I don't know if the sour cream never broke down or what,, that is the white in the pic but it was great just the way it was,,,left overs are to die for"

 

 

I had similar problems with the cheeses working on this recipe,

 

Quote from the original post;

"I had done a little bit of research and the problem may have been that the cheese was curdling, either from heating the cheese too high to quickly or in the oven, so to avoid this I used processed cheeses for the cheese sauce at very low heat and the cheddar and mozzarella for the crust."

 

 

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post
 

Fantastic and thanks for the Kudos.

 

 

 

"I don't know if the sour cream never broke down or what,, that is the white in the pic but it was great just the way it was,,,left overs are to die for"

 

 

I had similar problems with the cheeses working on this recipe,

 

Quote from the original post;

"I had done a little bit of research and the problem may have been that the cheese was curdling, either from heating the cheese too high to quickly or in the oven, so to avoid this I used processed cheeses for the cheese sauce at very low heat and the cheddar and mozzarella for the crust."

 

 

 

Thanks, Sqwib, I will try lower temps for a little longer this next go around,,,

 

DS

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Butts and SQWIBS Mac and cheese