or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Brisket help, knowledge and wisdom needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brisket help, knowledge and wisdom needed

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I have a terrible time getting a brisket here. My brother brought me a prime full packer from a small butcher in Northern Alberta.

 

Due to the difficulty in getting brisket, I have only done Montreal Smoked Meat from the only brisket I could get as I wanted to share it with the guy who gave it to me.

 

Now, I would like to do my first brisket smoke. I am considering smoking the whole packer but I have concerns. There is only She Who Must Be Obeyed and I. I will have no problem getting a couple of friends to come over but that will still leave a lot of meat left over.

 

This brings me to my first question. How well does smoked brisket freeze for future sandwiches?

 

My second though was to break the brisket down into a point that I will make into Montreal Smoked Meat. Then I could cut the flat in two and do a brisket smoke with one and pastrami with the other.

 

We are now at my second question. It has been my experience that larger cuts of beef tend to be moister so I am not sure about breaking it down. Am I correct that the full packer will give a better result? 

 

Input, discussions and suggestions would be appreciated.

 

Disco

post #2 of 14
What kind of smoker are you using? And what kind of fuel?

Can you fit the whole brisket in your smoker at one time?

If you wrap the left over brisket tightly, or vaccume pack it, it should freeze well for quite a while. I usually just wrap it in foil and put it in the fridge. Then you can put it in the oven at 300 for a couple of hours to reheat it. Mine never lasts longer than a few days.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

What kind of smoker are you using? And what kind of fuel?

Can you fit the whole brisket in your smoker at one time?

If you wrap the left over brisket tightly, or vaccume pack it, it should freeze well for quite a while. I usually just wrap it in foil and put it in the fridge. Then you can put it in the oven at 300 for a couple of hours to reheat it. Mine never lasts longer than a few days.

I have a pellet smoker and yes, I can fit the whole packer in one piece in the smoker.

 

Thanks for the information on your freezing experience. I am leaning more towards doing the whole packer.

post #4 of 14
Disco you can freeze it into small single serve portions. I vac pac and then when it's time to reheat I do that right in the vac pack bag in simmering water. I haven't done a brisket in a longtime. Main reason is we are spoiled here with access to Tri tip, which we prefer.

I would cook It whole and freeze whatever you don't eat.
post #5 of 14
I concur smoke that whole bad boy! Have sliced flat with sides the first night,burnt ends the next night,sammies the third night freeze if there's anything left. Brisket hash is a favorite with leftovers here as well,but like DS Tri tip is one of my faves as well and we can get it for a pretty good price!
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Disco you can freeze it into small single serve portions. I vac pac and then when it's time to reheat I do that right in the vac pack bag in simmering water. I haven't done a brisket in a longtime. Main reason is we are spoiled here with access to Tri tip, which we prefer.

I would cook It whole and freeze whatever you don't eat.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

I concur smoke that whole bad boy! Have sliced flat with sides the first night,burnt ends the next night,sammies the third night freeze if there's anything left. Brisket hash is a favorite with leftovers here as well,but like DS Tri tip is one of my faves as well and we can get it for a pretty good price!

Thanks, guys. I am leaning towards doing the whole thing. It is just such a hunk a hunk of beautiful beef I can't bring myself to cut it up.

 

I agree on tri tip but we can only get that cut into tiny steaks. I have asked the supermarket butcher to leave one whole for me and he says they are cut up and put on the shelf as soon as they come in because they are popular. He said he would try and remember but it appears I have to get there before they start cutting them up if I want to have any chance.

 

A whole brisket it is!

post #7 of 14
Disco show that but her some of our Tri tip posts!!! It's a good thing he has knives! Otherwise the Tri tip council would be after him!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Disco show that but her some of our Tri tip posts!!! It's a good thing he has knives! Otherwise the Tri tip council would be after him!

I have to be kind. He has helped me with getting side pork and pork fat trimmings. As a butcher at a major supermarket, he doesn't have to do any of it.

post #9 of 14
I will echo what Case says regarding freezing and reheating. I prefer to smoke whole packers, as I believe the finished product is more tender and juicy than piecing it out. Just like you, Disco, there's only Mrs. Red and me at our house, so what I like to do is slice all the leftover brisket and vac seal it in meal sized portions to freeze. One nice sized packer will provide us with months of tasty leftovers...and I reheat just like Case...just drop the vac pac into boiling water for 15-20 minutes.
post #10 of 14

Wow Disco!  

 

Never thought I could offer you advice!  I smoke whole packers for two or three every time.  I do my best to make burnt ends with the point, SWMBO demands it!  I slice up the entire flat.  We feast on that twice, the burnt ends are usually gone by then, and I vacuum seal the remaining flat slices in 1 qt bags.  Throw them in boiling water when you want to eat and you're good to go.  

 

Mike

post #11 of 14

Sorry!  Everyone else seems to have you covered. :icon_redface:

 

Mike

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post

I will echo what Case says regarding freezing and reheating. I prefer to smoke whole packers, as I believe the finished product is more tender and juicy than piecing it out. Just like you, Disco, there's only Mrs. Red and me at our house, so what I like to do is slice all the leftover brisket and vac seal it in meal sized portions to freeze. One nice sized packer will provide us with months of tasty leftovers...and I reheat just like Case...just drop the vac pac into boiling water for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks, Red. I appreciate your experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5051 View Post
 

Wow Disco!  

 

Never thought I could offer you advice!  I smoke whole packers for two or three every time.  I do my best to make burnt ends with the point, SWMBO demands it!  I slice up the entire flat.  We feast on that twice, the burnt ends are usually gone by then, and I vacuum seal the remaining flat slices in 1 qt bags.  Throw them in boiling water when you want to eat and you're good to go.  

 

Mike

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5051 View Post
 

Sorry!  Everyone else seems to have you covered. :icon_redface:

 

Mike

Har, Mike! The only people who have nothing to learn are dead! I appreciate your advice. Particularly about the point. I was thinking of doing pastrami or Montreal smoked meat from it but I have done those before. I have not done burnt ends. 

 

Thanks for your help!

post #13 of 14

Burnt ends are the star of the brisket according too some folks.  Personally, I want my flat slices to be perfect pull apart tender.  The bunt ends are finished in sauce and a little too sweet for my tastes.  They are still used as a measure for a successful smoke lots of times.  

 

Mike

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5051 View Post
 

Burnt ends are the star of the brisket according too some folks.  Personally, I want my flat slices to be perfect pull apart tender.  The bunt ends are finished in sauce and a little too sweet for my tastes.  They are still used as a measure for a successful smoke lots of times.  

 

Mike

I shall put by best foot forward and try and meet these high standards. Even more, I'll have fun!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Brisket help, knowledge and wisdom needed