or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › AMNPS and masterbuilt gen 2 or 2.5 placement question.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMNPS and masterbuilt gen 2 or 2.5 placement question.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hello all! This is my first post and was wondering if I can get some advice from this lovely group. I just bought a 30" masterbuilt smoker shown here

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20076716-Digital-Electric-Cinnamon/dp/B01ALDH37I

Not sure if it's the gen 2 or 2.5? Here is a pic of it setup



I just made an awesome pork butt and fell in love with it.





It took 15 hours and I instantly got sick of babysitting the smoke so I purchased an AMNPS because of all the RAVE reviews. It came in the mail today and I will be recieving the pellets tomorrow. I was just wondering where I should place the tray? It doesn't fit on the bottom unless I take the drip tray completely out. I will be making 3 pork butts for a party I'm having next week and need all the room I can get. Do I take the tray out and put it to the far left and cover it with foil so no drippings get on it? That seems like my only option but maybe there's a better way :)

Thanks so much in advance!
post #2 of 6

I have an MES 40-2.5

 

I have to put my AMNPS on the bottom left of the drip pan (You might want to wrap your drip pan in foil for easier clean up).

 

Also - the AMNPS tends to go out in MES smokers so I used spring clips to raise it from the bottom and have to leave the chip tube most of the way open.  I have some pictures somewhere and will post them.

 

P.S. - do some test smokes with your AMNPS.  Fill it to the top and maybe 1/2 of the row long to make sure your tweak works and it does not go out.

post #3 of 6

Found them...BTW - I had to pull my chip tube farther out than what is shown...I would guess 3/4 out and aligned to allow air flow into the smoker (look down there - you will see what I mean).  Temperature is still rock solid steady.  Vent is wide open too.

 

Pardon the mess, but these pics were AFTER a smoke Thumbs Up and doing the experiments to make sure it did not go out.

 

 

post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego83 View Post

Hello all! This is my first post and was wondering if I can get some advice from this lovely group. I just bought a 30" masterbuilt smoker shown here

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20076716-Digital-Electric-Cinnamon/dp/B01ALDH37I

Not sure if it's the gen 2 or 2.5? Here is a pic of it setup

I just made an awesome pork butt and fell in love with it.


It took 15 hours and I instantly got sick of babysitting the smoke so I purchased an AMNPS because of all the RAVE reviews. It came in the mail today and I will be recieving the pellets tomorrow. I was just wondering where I should place the tray? It doesn't fit on the bottom unless I take the drip tray completely out. I will be making 3 pork butts for a party I'm having next week and need all the room I can get. Do I take the tray out and put it to the far left and cover it with foil so no drippings get on it? That seems like my only option but maybe there's a better way :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi grego,

Yours is a Gen #2.5.

I have a Gen #2.5, but it's an MES 40.

I've tried a few places with my AMNPS, and I've found the best place for me is to put that bottom rack in (it's too close to the heat for meat anyway). Then put your AMNPS on the far right of that bottom rack. Then if it isn't smoking good, pull your chip dumper out a couple inches. Then if it smokes too heavy, push the dumper back in.

The name of the game is "AIR FLOW".

 

Make sure you protect your AMNPS from Drips with foil above it.

 

Bear

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

Hi grego,

Yours is a Gen #2.5.

I have a Gen #2.5, but it's an MES 40.

I've tried a few places with my AMNPS, and I've found the best place for me is to put that bottom rack in (it's too close to the heat for meat anyway). Then put your AMNPS on the far right of that bottom rack. Then if it isn't smoking good, pull your chip dumper out a couple inches. Then if it smokes too heavy, push the dumper back in.

The name of the game is "AIR FLOW".

 

Make sure you protect your AMNPS from Drips with foil above it.

 

Bear

Hmmmm--- never tried that.  Will do that next smoke and see if that is more reliable.  Thanks Bear Thumbs Up

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eddie View Post
 

Hmmmm--- never tried that.  Will do that next smoke and see if that is more reliable.  Thanks Bear Thumbs Up


I would have added if the left side is still too much smoke, put the AMNPS on the floor on the left, but that would be OK for your MES 40, and my MES 40, but it might not fit down there in "grego's" MES 30.

 

 

Bear


Edited by Bearcarver - 7/23/16 at 3:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › AMNPS and masterbuilt gen 2 or 2.5 placement question.