or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Amish Sweet Bologna (Sticks)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amish Sweet Bologna (Sticks)

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

How bouts some Amish sweet bologna in stick form?

 

Sure

 


So i said

 

 

SELF

 

 

Yeah

 

 

How bout we kick it up with 2.5 Tbsp of Slap Ya Momma?

 


In fridge for tomorrow. 15mm collagen.

 

post #2 of 19

Ima follow this one!

post #3 of 19

Looking good,,, sounds yummy

post #4 of 19

I concur...must follow this one!

post #5 of 19

Nepas, :popcorn i'm in.

post #6 of 19

Man I love bologna!!

 

Al

post #7 of 19

Me too, I'm with Al, I love the stuff.

 

   Ed

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Got the sweet mix all stuffed into 15mm collagen.

 

 

 

 

Half done.

 

 

 

All stuffed. Now an hour rest at room temp before the smoker.

 

 

Hanging in the smoker. Start at 130* for an hour before some hickory smoke.

 

 

Hot today here in S, Fl so these prob won't take long.

post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 

Did a long smoke on these, pulled IT @ 151 then hung up all night. So far looking good.

 

post #10 of 19

Very Nice Rick!!! POINTS!! 

 

DS

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post
 

Very Nice Rick!!! POINTS!! 

 

DS


TY

 

I got a new 3/16" drill bit   :laugh1:

post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 

Time this morning to cut the sticks, vac seal, date and ready for traveling. Taking half to Ky this wed then the other half to Ky in Sept.

 

I brown paper bag my smoked items in the fridge for couple days, keeps the moisture off and dries them some. Plastic bags create condensation from the meat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post
 

Time this morning to cut the sticks, vac seal, date and ready for traveling. Taking half to Ky this wed then the other half to Ky in Sept.

 

I brown paper bag my smoked items in the fridge for couple days, keeps the moisture off and dries them some. Plastic bags create condensation from the meat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What actually is a Amish sweet bologna stick? What seasoning or is it your own mix? More curious than anything.

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhot View Post
 

 

 

What actually is a Amish sweet bologna stick? What seasoning or is it your own mix? More curious than anything.


I'm sure y'all have seen seltzers lebanon bologna in the markets? Anyways lebanon and sweet lebanon bologna is popular in the Lancaster County, PA and surrounding areas. The sweet mix is like any sort of bologna mix except the black pepper is a course grind and there is honey added. (if you use brown sugar you will get a maple flavor) I buy the sweet mix in bulk @50lbs. 10-12oz is plenty for a 5lb batch of bologna or sticks, all i add is cure #1.

 

I pretty much don't do many of my own mixes, find there are many good pre mixes out and some are gluten free,pnut free. Still HM mixes suck though (don't confuse Hi Country mixes with HM)

 

Sweet sticks are popular at the farmers mkts around the Lancaster County areas. Last time i was at Green Dragon farmers mkt a 1/2lb of sweet sticks was $15. Not many old order Amish butchers at the mkts anymore so the sticks may be made at seltzers or somewhere like that.

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post
 


I'm sure y'all have seen seltzers lebanon bologna in the markets? Anyways lebanon and sweet lebanon bologna is popular in the Lancaster County, PA and surrounding areas. The sweet mix is like any sort of bologna mix except the black pepper is a course grind and there is honey added. (if you use brown sugar you will get a maple flavor) I buy the sweet mix in bulk @50lbs. 10-12oz is plenty for a 5lb batch of bologna or sticks, all i add is cure #1.

 

I pretty much don't do many of my own mixes, find there are many good pre mixes out and some are gluten free,pnut free. Still HM mixes suck though (don't confuse Hi Country mixes with HM)

 

Sweet sticks are popular at the farmers mkts around the Lancaster County areas. Last time i was at Green Dragon farmers mkt a 1/2lb of sweet sticks was $15. Not many old order Amish butchers at the mkts anymore so the sticks may be made at seltzers or somewhere like that.

so where do you buy the mix from? I'd really like to try these. Thanks

post #16 of 19
Looks great. I just went through Lancaster today.

Interested in the mix as well.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 

You can get the mix at times in small 5lb batches at Hornings country store up in Lykens, PA or in bulk at Dutch Valley Foods.

 

Sometime the Hornings store has diff mixes at times

post #18 of 19

Looks like another winner for sure!  I am so ready to get back to making sausage.

post #19 of 19

Stupendous sticks!

 

Points

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Amish Sweet Bologna (Sticks)