or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Spatchcock Chicken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spatchcock Chicken

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am loving the Lang 36 stretch. I've been on it every weekend since I got it. Check out those sexy legs

post #2 of 11

Nice!!

 

Al

post #3 of 11
Nice looking chickens,great looking smoker!icon14.gif
post #4 of 11
Great looking birds and smoker. icon14.gif
post #5 of 11

Nice birds.  I'm thinking you're loving the Lang.

 

Gary

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Very much so. Holds the temp on point. Great investment.
post #7 of 11

Ok....I was searching for "How" to Spatchcock a chicken and didn't find anything.  (Hard to search well and work at the same time), but since this was one of the more recent threads, I thought I would just ask here......

 

How do you spatchcock a Chicken or Turkey?  And in a GMG-DB, do I still want to put a drip tray under the rack for the chicken, or do I just let it drip on the shield and run into the bucket?  (My ignorance never would have even thought to put anything under the chicken to catch grease)

 

Brand new to this world, so it creates for simple questions--(not stupid questions-LOL)  Ya ain't stupid if ya don't know!

post #8 of 11

Update....found time to catch a quick video on spatchcook process...so new question, as after reading stuff here, my plans to beer can a chicken on Wednesday have switched to Spatchcocking one...what temp do you recommend to use to make sure I get a good crispy skin?  Any tricks up your sleeves to make sure I get a crispy skin?

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigriller View Post

Update....found time to catch a quick video on spatchcook process...so new question, as after reading stuff here, my plans to beer can a chicken on Wednesday have switched to Spatchcocking one...what temp do you recommend to use to make sure I get a good crispy skin?  Any tricks up your sleeves to make sure I get a crispy skin?

325-350 also air dry the bird overnight if possible in the fridge. If not hit it with a hair dryer on low right before putting it on the smoker.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post


325-350 also air dry the bird overnight if possible in the fridge. If not hit it with a hair dryer on low right before putting it on the smoker.

So I see the temp range a lot from everyone.  What is the deciding factor in figuring out if it should be 325 or 350?  Is it weather related?  Grill related?  Something to watch for while thfood is cooking to decide what temp to be at?  (ok...so THOSE may be dumb questions)

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigriller View Post

So I see the temp range a lot from everyone.  What is the deciding factor in figuring out if it should be 325 or 350?  Is it weather related?  Grill related?  Something to watch for while thfood is cooking to decide what temp to be at?  (ok...so THOSE may be dumb questions)

For me it's more of where the smoker settles in at. I know that between 325-350 I can get crispy skin.

If you look at oven roasted bird recipes you will see temps ranging from 350-425. I feel comfortable that I will get crispy skin at 325-350 and still get good smokey flavor.

Another trick to try is to rub the bird wth a couple tablespoons of kosher salt prior to drying the skin. You can even mix in a 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. This will really help remove the moisture. Especially if you only have a few hours to dry the bird.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Spatchcock Chicken