or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › New member. Question for the group. Design a smokehouse?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New member. Question for the group. Design a smokehouse?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi folks!

 

 I figured I would turn to the pro's for this.

 

 This has been a year long, or more, process. We are opening a smokehouse/brewpub.

 

 My question to the group. If you had, say, 30k to design a custom built smoker, what would it be/look like?

 

 

 We will run a deli from the smokehouse. Figure 150-200 seats or so. Smokehouse will be outside, but attached. Likely a large indoor fire pit to finish meat and grill other types. I am trying to figure a way to do a cold smoke and hot smoke smokehouse, combined in one, even if separated by a panel or something. Conveyor to move the meat around. Also, eventually, curing house made sausages/hams.

 

 Let your imagination run wild. There is no wrong answer!

post #2 of 13
Depends on what the primary style of meat you were going to serve. A main fire box on the end that you can load from the outside. Hauling wood is labor/time intensive. As far as pits go brick or cinder block. I would do a few with adjustable grates so you can adjust easily for the meat you are cooking. As far as cold smoke you will probably need a dedicated place. You could build an l shape building and have your cold smokehouse in its own room but still accessible from the main pit row. Run a smoke generator for that side. Im not a professional but that would be my SWAG for a start. Having a place to expand more pits so when you get going and everyone piles in by the bus load you can keep them fed and coming back for more
Jason
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the response!

 

It will be your typical BBQ joint, with a rotating chef created daily specialty menu, such as large paellas, smoked oysters, aged in house and hand cut steaks from primals, etc. As well, all the appropriate sides, which will also be for sale by volume in the deli. Pork, beef, chicken.

 

 

 I grew up cutting my own wood for my family's stove. We will definitely pay for wood to be delivered.

 

I've seen a few large scale brick/block smokers. We want to feature this as a centerpiece, so it needs to be decorative, of sorts. Not fancy. But noticeable.

 

The cold smoke part is a tough one. Its easy enough to build a separate area for it though. Again, eventually want to cure meats that we make to use in our eatery, as well as sell through the deli.

 

Thanks for your comments! Very, very helpful.

post #4 of 13
If I had $30 grand to spend on a smoker, I would buy a Bewley 1100 or an Oyler rotisserie.

I could probably build a half dozen insulated reverse flow smokers out of 500 gallon propane tanks for that kind of money.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the response!

 

I will check those brands out.

 

 I've had a lot of discussion with our builder about this. Three things will be the focal point. One, the 15bbl brewery inside. Two, the fire pit to finish and baste on, but also to do steaks and other items. And three, the custom smoker. Of course, it will be outdoors, but I still want it to be a noticeable and workable piece of the pie. 30k sounds like a lot, but this whole thing will end up around 1.5 million. So thats a small piece and well worth the price. Keep in mind, we'll feed 250 people or more per day and stock a deli with it. It'll earn its keep quickly.

post #6 of 13
You can easily feed 250 people with a Bewley 1100, probably twice that many, depending on what cuts you are doing. And because it is fully insulated, and uses a refractory firebox, they are very fuel efficient, and will smoke over night unattended. All wood burning and thermostatically controlled. They have a rotisserie model in their 800 line, and the only electric that it uses is to run the rotisserie mechanism and the thermostat and air inlet solenoid. Prices for the 1100 start at $25,000 depending on what options you need.

Not sure how they will fit into the architecture and atmosphere of your restaurant, but they will produce great barbecue product.

http://anbewley.com/products.html

I think they look cool.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

You can easily feed 250 people with a Bewley 1100, probably twice that many, depending on what cuts you are doing. And because it is fully insulated, and uses a refractory firebox, they are very fuel efficient, and will smoke over night unattended. All wood burning and thermostatically controlled. They have a rotisserie model in their 800 line, and the only electric that it uses is to run the rotisserie mechanism and the thermostat and air inlet solenoid. Prices for the 1100 start at $25,000 depending on what options you need.

Not sure how they will fit into the architecture and atmosphere of your restaurant, but they will produce great barbecue product.

http://anbewley.com/products.html

I think they look cool.


Its a gorgeous setup, no doubt. I think we could build an enclosure around it. Or leave it as is. Certainly has the capacity. Still, Id love to construct something to be an eyepiece, as well as a functional smoker. I had a walk in type in my mind.

post #8 of 13

Call up Larry Lewis, he is the owner and chief welder at A.N. Bewley...I think he is the son-in-law of A.N. Bewley. He will custom fabricate anything you need. Great guy to talk to. 

post #9 of 13
Where is your deli located
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
 

Call up Larry Lewis, he is the owner and chief welder at A.N. Bewley...I think he is the son-in-law of A.N. Bewley. He will custom fabricate anything you need. Great guy to talk to. 


Outstanding! I will call him next week. This is fantastic info. Thank you!

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrian View Post

Where is your deli located

It will be in Virginia.

post #12 of 13

Before you go spending a ton of money on design/product/site/etc., check with your local health & building inspectors to see what is allowed and disallowed.  Example:  brick or cinder blocks in many locales are no-nos, as they are permeable and difficult to keep clean per their standards.  Many only will allow you to use tile and stainless which can be cleaned and disinfected much more easily.  Make sure that the amount of smoke you're going to pump out will be kosher within the municipality (if applicable). 

 

X2 on the Oylers:  familiar with them when I worked in a Texas joint, and they were outstanding.  My $0.02

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0uch0 View Post
 

Before you go spending a ton of money on design/product/site/etc., check with your local health & building inspectors to see what is allowed and disallowed.  Example:  brick or cinder blocks in many locales are no-nos, as they are permeable and difficult to keep clean per their standards.  Many only will allow you to use tile and stainless which can be cleaned and disinfected much more easily.  Make sure that the amount of smoke you're going to pump out will be kosher within the municipality (if applicable). 

 

X2 on the Oylers:  familiar with them when I worked in a Texas joint, and they were outstanding.  My $0.02

Very good advice. We've worked with the city quite a bit here, all relevant departments. They are in full support of what we are doing. But definitely something to keep in mind as we go through the process. Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › New member. Question for the group. Design a smokehouse?