or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › High heat chicken on the 14.5"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High heat chicken on the 14.5"

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi all, we finally had a free Saturday with nice weather so here is my cook. Thank you for the members who posted instructions for this. Thanks to the advice of our members I was able to do this cook.Let me tell you...this was the best chicken I've ever made that did not need barbecue sauce. My husband even said it was very very good.

I bought a 5 pound chicken and spatchcocked it. Washed, and rubbed with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled Bone Sucking Rub. Inserted the thermometer in the breast.

Used one full chimney of kbb and no water pan. All bottom vents were opened all the way until the heat reached up to 300* then I adjusted for them to be open a quarter of the way. The temperature settled to like 325* I was ok with that being it was a first time cook for me.

It took about a little over an hour to cook. Here are the pictures








Thank you and have a nice weekend.
post #2 of 17

Nicely done! Now you need to try a Brined Bird or even Injecting one. Takes the moistness to new levels and really makes the meat melt in your mouth tender...JJ :points:

post #3 of 17

Nice job!

 

Excellent looking meal you made there!

 

Al

post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Nicely done! Now you need to try a Brined Bird or even Injecting one. Takes the moistness to new levels and really makes the meat melt in your mouth tender...JJ :points:

^^^This^^^

 

Once you brine, you will always brine!

post #5 of 17
Looks like a great first smoke!
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Nicely done! Now you need to try a Brined Bird or even Injecting one. Takes the moistness to new levels and really makes the meat melt in your mouth tender...JJ points.gif

Hmmm I will definitely try again, but the last time I brined I felt that the breast had like a really funny texture. But this will be done again! thanks again!
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by appwsmsmkr1 View Post


Hmmm I will definitely try again, but the last time I brined I felt that the breast had like a really funny texture. But this will be done again! thanks again!

 

Don't know how much salt you used. Too much, too long and the breast can get mushy. I use 1/2C Morton Kosher per gallon water, overnight...JJ

post #8 of 17
Just another perspective, I very rarely brine, especially since most birds that are store bought are enhanced. I occasionally inject for added flavor or to create different flavor profiles. Typically though I like to let the meat shine and use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Smoker! High temp and spatchcocking will get you one of the best birds you can get!
post #9 of 17

Looking good!

 

If you want to IMO take a step further then when you're part way or maybe 1/2 way through cooking flip the bird skin side down....ESPECIALLY when the bird can see the fire (talking direct cooking)

 

OMG the skin will be even better.

post #10 of 17

Looks good i tried the same thing but the temp was not as high and the skin turned out a bit rubbery i will defiantly have to crank up the heat and flip the bird over and try that. 

 

Great job:439:

post #11 of 17
Points for a great looking meal!
post #12 of 17

Nice job, good lookin bird  :drool

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Just another perspective, I very rarely brine, especially since most birds that are store bought are enhanced. I occasionally inject for added flavor or to create different flavor profiles. Typically though I like to let the meat shine and use the KISS method. Keep It Simple Smoker! High temp and spatchcocking will get you one of the best birds you can get!

Thank you! I'm definitely going to use this method again.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauchjw View Post

Points for a great looking meal!
Thank you so much!
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

Looking good!

If you want to IMO take a step further then when you're part way or maybe 1/2 way through cooking flip the bird skin side down....ESPECIALLY when the bird can see the fire (talking direct cooking)

OMG the skin will be even better.

I'm going to try this! Thank you!
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

Looking good!

If you want to IMO take a step further then when you're part way or maybe 1/2 way through cooking flip the bird skin side down....ESPECIALLY when the bird can see the fire (talking direct cooking)

OMG the skin will be even better.

I'm going to try this! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Don't know how much salt you used. Too much, too long and the breast can get mushy. I use 1/2C Morton Kosher per gallon water, overnight...JJ

Thank you jj!
post #17 of 17

Beautiful bird! I choose not to brine but it is a matter of personal tastes.

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › High heat chicken on the 14.5"