or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bauernfrühstück

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Bauernfrühstück (farmer's breakfast) is a dish that my mother used to make when I was a kid - she was from Germany. I tried for years to repeat her yummy goodness, but until recently it was always a bit "off".  I finally figured out how to replicate her method.  Typically bacon is chopped and rendered, then onion and garlic are added.  While those are cooking, potatoes are diced and put into the pan and allowed to brown while turning frequently.  Meanwhile 6 eggs were lightly beaten.  This time instead of bacon, I heated a bit of bacon fat that I keep stock frozen and added small cubed home smoked pastrami.

 

Once the meat, potatoes, onion, and garlic are crisped and brown, the heat is turned off and the beaten eggs are added and folded into the hot mixture until cooked. The result is real comfort food - creamy potatoes seasoned with the bacon, pastrami, onion and garlic.  It was so good, my missus and I ate the whole pan which contained 8 potatoes!  I'm going to need to go on a diet.

 

post #2 of 14
Always tasty! Very similar to what we make in the Dutch oven when camping.
post #3 of 14

I like the Pastrami twist. I have made this for years using corned beef, so I can see the Pastrami being even better...JJ

post #4 of 14

Tasty looking dish!

 

Disco

post #5 of 14
Well Crap!! Now I need some pastrami....
post #6 of 14

Man, that is my dream breakfast right there.  Looks delicious!

post #7 of 14

That could be eaten alllllllll day long.

 

Thanks for sharing PZ.

 

T

post #8 of 14
Now that sounds really good! I have a 2# piece of smoked brisket point in the freezer. I wonder.....
Points for the idea!
Dan
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Always tasty! Very similar to what we make in the Dutch oven when camping.

 

I love the idea of Dutch oven cooking, and I have a Lodge.  However, I'm just a beginner, and am using it only for baking crisp thick crust European style bread. I need to expand my horizons!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Tasty looking dish!

 

Disco

 

Thanks Disco! Being German, my mother made all kinds of satisfying comfort foods. My regret is that I did not learn more from her, in many ways.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceP View Post

Well Crap!! Now I need some pastrami....

 

lol, I know what you mean, LanceP! Once I found Cash and Carry, I started smoking packer corned beef and now keep some frozen most of the time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktogthr View Post
 

Man, that is my dream breakfast right there.  Looks delicious!

 

Appreciate the comment worktogthr! My mother told me it was designed to give the working farmer all he needed to do a full day's work. Sure is nice that it tastes as good as it is designed to do for one's energy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post
 

That could be eaten alllllllll day long.

 

Thanks for sharing PZ.

 

T

 

lol, we stuffed ourselves full all day long!  Our bellies ached by the end of the day, but not one morsel remained in the pan!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post

Now that sounds really good! I have a 2# piece of smoked brisket point in the freezer. I wonder.....
Points for the idea!
Dan

 

Brisket is an excellent idea - we do variations of this dish with brisket, pulled port, ribs, and of course corned beef.  The sky is the limit, and I say that any meat is fair game when it comes to potatoes and eggs.

 

... and thanks for the point, SmokeyMose!

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

I like the Pastrami twist. I have made this for years using corned beef, so I can see the Pastrami being even better...JJ

 

Thanks for the comment, Chef JJ! 

post #11 of 14

The name had me wondering,do I want to open this and I finally did LOL That looks like a great winter breakfast.Thanks

Richie

post #12 of 14

Yum! My Mom used to make this for Sunday Breakfast when I was a kid! Will have to try this with my picky eater hubby! (he only likes Scrambled Eggs without anything in them! No Cheese no nothing!)  I am going to try this Sunday! Thanks!

 

Smoke it if ya got it!

 

Pibble Love! 

PitBulMom

post #13 of 14
Man that looks good.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

The name had me wondering,do I want to open this and I finally did LOL That looks like a great winter breakfast.Thanks

Richie

 

lol, that's funny Richie - I would have the same response if I'd not known the origins! Yeah, it is one of my favorites on a cold and rainy/snowy day - there is something so comforting about a meal like this when it is rather hostile outside.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBulMom View Post
 

Yum! My Mom used to make this for Sunday Breakfast when I was a kid! Will have to try this with my picky eater hubby! (he only likes Scrambled Eggs without anything in them! No Cheese no nothing!)  I am going to try this Sunday! Thanks!

 

Smoke it if ya got it!

 

Pibble Love! 

PitBulMom

 

Thanks for the comment PitBulMom! I used to hate scrambled eggs until I did them not so well cooked. When done creamy they are most excellent.  Hope your hubby will enjoy them with a bit of additions!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysmokin View Post

Man that looks good.

 

Thanks murraysmokin!  Once you try it, you'll likely keep in your "go-to" recipe file for breakfast.  I've served it to so many guests in the past, and they all seemed to really like it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion