or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Pellet Smokers  › A-Maze-N Smokers › AMNPS USE IN A KETTLE...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMNPS USE IN A KETTLE...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Has any used an AMNPS in a Weber kettle?
post #2 of 14
Yep. Smoked tons of cheese with my AMNPS and my 22gold. Cheese on the right top grate smoke on the
Charcoal grate on the right.
Bottom vent wide open , top vent over the cheese wide open. This way the smoke drafts right where you want it
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans View Post

Yep. Smoked tons of cheese with my AMNPS and my 22gold. Cheese on the right top grate smoke on the
Charcoal grate on the right.
Bottom vent wide open , top vent over the cheese wide open. This way the smoke drafts right where you want it

Cold smoke? How about warm smoke?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYCOALITION View Post

Has any used an AMNPS in a Weber kettle?

 

Yes many times. You need to keep the AMNPS and the food as far apart as possible to minimise the warming affect of the smoldering pellets. I used to smoke mostly at night when the outside air temperature is cool.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans View Post

Bottom vent wide open , top vent over the cheese wide open. This way the smoke drafts right where you want it

 

Yes, place the AMNPS on the charcoal grate above the bottom air vent. and position the top air vent over what you are smoking. When smoking things like nuts or salt then temperature is not a problem however when smoking cheese, butter or fish then you can place it on a wire rack over a tray of ice.

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thank you Lemans and Wade.
post #6 of 14
Anytime Brother..
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYCOALITION View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans View Post

Yep. Smoked tons of cheese with my AMNPS and my 22gold. Cheese on the right top grate smoke on the
Charcoal grate on the right.
Bottom vent wide open , top vent over the cheese wide open. This way the smoke drafts right where you want it

Cold smoke? How about warm smoke?

 

NO HEAT !!!!!!!!   the cheese will melt....  You may have to smoke the cheese first thing in the morning to have cool enough temps...    Like Lemans says...  Vents wide open....

post #8 of 14

The AMNPS doesn't work too well if you have briquettes going in the kettle....  the charcoal burning consumes all the oxygen and the pellets won't burn.....

post #9 of 14
Gotta be cool outside . Under 50 degrees if it's too warm outside you will end up with cheese whiz
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

NO HEAT !!!!!!!!   the cheese will melt....  You may have to smoke the cheese first thing in the morning to have cool enough temps...    Like Lemans says...  Vents wide open....

Sorry. I was asking if you had used it for smoking meats, briskets, chicken etc. in place of charcoal and wood chunks. I'm not ready for cold smoking yet. Still trying to learn warm smoking still. Thanks again for everyone's help.
post #11 of 14

Did you read this post....

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post
 

The AMNPS doesn't work too well if you have briquettes going in the kettle....  the charcoal burning consumes all the oxygen and the pellets won't burn.....

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYCOALITION View Post

Sorry. I was asking if you had used it for smoking meats, briskets, chicken etc. in place of charcoal and wood chunks. 

 

Dave has given you the honest truth above - the AMNPS does not work well in a situation where oxygen levels are low. I tried to use it a couple of times in my Weber when hot smoking when I first got it but without success. You do not need one though as you can place the pellets directly onto the coals.

 

When cooking for an extended time on the kettle for, say, pork shoulder or brisket, you will probably be using the minion/snake method to give you those long controllable low temperatures. You just need to distribute the pellets evenly on top of the unburned briquettes and they will continually give off smoke throughout the cook. 1.5 Kg (3.3 pounds) of good quality briquettes will give you up to 8 hours of good cooking temperature in a Weber.

 

 

You can see more detailed information here - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/171812/coconut-briquettes

 

The AMNTS can be used with greater success than the AMNPS in the Weber but I found that it burns away quite quickly.

 

I hope this helps.

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post


I did. Thanks.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post

Dave has given you the honest truth above - the AMNPS does not work well in a situation where oxygen levels are low. I tried to use it a couple of times in my Weber when hot smoking when I first got it but without success. You do not need one though as you can place the pellets directly onto the coals.

When cooking for an extended time on the kettle for, say, pork shoulder or brisket, you will probably be using the minion/snake method to give you those long controllable low temperatures. You just need to distribute the pellets evenly on top of the unburned briquettes and they will continually give off smoke throughout the cook. 1.5 Kg (3.3 pounds) of good quality briquettes will give you up to 8 hours of good cooking temperature in a Weber.





You can see more detailed information here - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/171812/coconut-briquettes

The AMNTS can be used with greater success than the AMNPS in the Weber but I found that it burns away quite quickly.

I hope this helps.

Got it. Thank you for the great info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: A-Maze-N Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Pellet Smokers  › A-Maze-N Smokers › AMNPS USE IN A KETTLE...