Hey all, lets get down to the dirty, this is my first time making bacon and I want to go for maple flavored. I've seen a few cure recipes that use 1/4 cup maple syrup per 5 lbs of belly but after reading further it seems that the syrup doesn't add that much flavor.
I've seen folks mentioned maple extract and maple sugar. What quantities of these would I use for a 5 pound pork belly? Would I just replace the brown sugar in known recipes for maple sugar?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is the process I'm looking at doing:
- Mix the cure (recipe for 5lb belly):
- 4 tablespoons of Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons of fresh ground pepper
- Recommended amount of cure #1 (it's in the mail, 1-2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (or maple sugar????)
- Any other ingredients you guys know are awesome with maple bacon!
- Rub the belly with the mix and sit it in a ziplock bag for 10-14 days. Massage daily.
- Remove belly and rinse well.
- Fry-salt-test and soak in cold water if necessary.
- Let belly sit in fridge uncovered for 24 hours to let pellicle form.
- Cold smoke using AMNPS for 12 hours with hickory or apple pellets.
- Let bacon rest for 2 days in fridge, covered.
I've made mountains of ribs and pork butts in my MES40 and Akorn but this is uncharted territory for me so I look to you bacon Gods for guidance