or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

stick burners

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Does anyone out there still use the old stick burners, now day i see they are all kinds of smokers, out there from electric, propane to sawdust to all other kind of smokers out there. just wondering if they are any old schoolers out there.

dannylang

post #2 of 19
I just got a CharGriller 6125 offset this year after cooking propane for a couple of years and love it. I guess that makes me new school old school or something. The answer is yes, a lot of us are into it. 🙂
Dan
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

glad to hear they are still some old schoolers out there.  thanks Dan

dannylang

post #4 of 19

I have a sfb vertical and a all wood burning uds to spin stuff.

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 

hey, hey thanks mister farmer. i knew the were still some of us out there.

dannylang

post #6 of 19
Maybe more of us than you actually realize. There has been a forum for quite a while wanting to know who has electric smokers. I think it might be interesting to know how many stick burners there are.
post #7 of 19

I have owned 2 stick burners for 20 years . with that said until recently I have always combined Charcoal and chunks. About a month ago I found Mini logs and started burning almost exclusively wood ! It is definitely harder to maintain temps , but once you get the fire box good and hot it gets easier to hold temps with the vents .

post #8 of 19
Plugging away on my big ole offset. These 90 degree days it doesn't take as long to get up to temperature.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6 View Post

I have owned 2 stick burners for 20 years . with that said until recently I have always combined Charcoal and chunks. About a month ago I found Mini logs and started burning almost exclusively wood ! It is definitely harder to maintain temps , but once you get the fire box good and hot it gets easier to hold temps with the vents .
I've been getting 1 cu. ft. bags of Hickory (I guess you'd call them mini-logs) from Home Depot.
$24.95 but they actually go a long way. Also those little bundles you find at groceries, which I think are mostly Ash, work fine to get the coals going and are small enough to fit the box. All in all not much more than buying charcoal. I only use charcoal and RO lump to get the fire started.
I'd like to find supply of Apple but haven't had time to really look.
post #10 of 19

I have 5 smokers now & just ordered a Lang, so I guess I'll be joining the stick burner club.

 

Al

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 

hey AL what lang did you order, i have a lang 36 patio model. and i love that thang.....

dannylang

 

 

i am not affiliated with the lang smokers at all, for all thats wondering

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylang View Post
 

hey AL what lang did you order, i have a lang 36 patio model. and i love that thang.....

dannylang

 

 

i am not affiliated with the lang smokers at all, for all thats wondering

 

I ordered the same as you, the 36 patio model.

 

They said 4 weeks, so I have another 2 to go.

 

Al

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post

I have 5 smokers now & just ordered a Lang, so I guess I'll be joining the stick burner club.

Al
You shouldn't have trouble finding fruit wood down there...
post #14 of 19

I found Mini Apple Logs at Cabela's also Maple , Orange and Peach chunks !

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6 View Post
 

I found Mini Apple Logs at Cabela's also Maple , Orange and Peach chunks !

I was in Ga. during the week and could not find Peach Chunks LOL

Danny I used one for years and just don't have the room any more

Richie

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6 View Post

I found Mini Apple Logs at Cabela's also Maple , Orange and Peach chunks !
No Cabelas anywhere near me😑
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

 

I ordered the same as you, the 36 patio model.

 

They said 4 weeks, so I have another 2 to go.

 

Al

 

al, when i first bought my lang smoker, i was building too big of a fire in it, i found out that if i cut my wood the size of a soda can, i could keep the temp of the smoker around 225 degrees. well its hard to make the smoker go over 300 degrees anyway, but i was going threw too much wood anyway, so i cut my wood in soda can size, and its been doing fine since.

dannylang

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post

I ordered the same as you, the 36 patio model.

They said 4 weeks, so I have another 2 to go.

Al
In just a couple weeks, Al, you'll be able to do a tri-tip and reverse sear in the firebox.


Just two. More. Weeks....devil.gif
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylang View Post
 

 

al, when i first bought my lang smoker, i was building too big of a fire in it, i found out that if i cut my wood the size of a soda can, i could keep the temp of the smoker around 225 degrees. well its hard to make the smoker go over 300 degrees anyway, but i was going threw too much wood anyway, so i cut my wood in soda can size, and its been doing fine since.

dannylang

 

Thanks for the tip Danny.

 

I'm sure this will be quite a learning experience.

 

Al

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion