or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › 10# Brisket on 18.5" WSM - Questions for vets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

10# Brisket on 18.5" WSM - Questions for vets

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

I did my first smoke three weeks ago... did two whole chickens and some ribs.  Results were amazing.  So, of course, I'm jumping right into a brisket :)

 

This website has a ridiculous amount of helpful information and I've taken it all in but I've got a couple questions for the vets.  Forecast is clear and sunny with temps between 55 and 70*  I plan on cooking around 225 and foiling around 160-170 once the bark is reasonably formed then cooking to 205* IT before letting rest half an hour.  I'll be using hickory chunks on Maple Leaf Lump Charcoal Since I have some of both.

 

Here are my questions: 1- Should I separate the point and the flat prior to cooking or cook whole.  Is there an advantage do doing it one way or another.  I couldn't find a definitive answer.

2- How long, realistically should it take to cook?  I've read anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half per pound but then I read about guys getting a 10# done in 7 or 8... 

3- Any tips for a rub?  Want something that will appeal to most.  (I'll be doing the burnt ends in Weber KC Rub with Uncle Dougie's Sweet and Snappy sauce).

 

Thanks for the help in advance!  I will be taking pics!  

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post
 

Hey all,

 

I did my first smoke three weeks ago... did two whole chickens and some ribs.  Results were amazing.  So, of course, I'm jumping right into a brisket :)

 

This website has a ridiculous amount of helpful information and I've taken it all in but I've got a couple questions for the vets.  Forecast is clear and sunny with temps between 55 and 70*  I plan on cooking around 225 and foiling around 160-170 once the bark is reasonably formed then cooking to 205* IT before letting rest half an hour.  I'll be using hickory chunks on Maple Leaf Lump Charcoal Since I have some of both.

 

Here are my questions: 1- Should I separate the point and the flat prior to cooking or cook whole.  Is there an advantage do doing it one way or another.  I couldn't find a definitive answer.

2- How long, realistically should it take to cook?  I've read anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half per pound but then I read about guys getting a 10# done in 7 or 8... 

3- Any tips for a rub?  Want something that will appeal to most.  (I'll be doing the burnt ends in Weber KC Rub with Uncle Dougie's Sweet and Snappy sauce).

 

Thanks for the help in advance!  I will be taking pics!  

 

i would cook whole then separate when you want to make burnt ends (like in the 190s IT)

 

at 225 you are looking closer to 1.5 to 2 hours per pound you want it done in 7-8 hours you gotta run 285-300 degrees (which isn't bad just different way of doing it)

 

for rub i like something like salt and pepper (black) maybe use Worcestershire sauce soak and black pepper on top over night in the fridge or something you might put on roast beef or a steak. something savory. SPOG is a favorite (salt pepper onion garlic)

 

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

post #3 of 11

Sounds like Aaron has you covered!

 

Let us know how it turns out.

 

Al

post #4 of 11

I just did a 7+ lb. Brisket in the WSM 18.5

Richie

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/246237/bbq-guru-in-charge-of-brisket

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbac View Post
 

 

i would cook whole then separate when you want to make burnt ends (like in the 190s IT)

 

at 225 you are looking closer to 1.5 to 2 hours per pound you want it done in 7-8 hours you gotta run 285-300 degrees (which isn't bad just different way of doing it)

 

for rub i like something like salt and pepper (black) maybe use Worcestershire sauce soak and black pepper on top over night in the fridge or something you might put on roast beef or a steak. something savory. SPOG is a favorite (salt pepper onion garlic)

 

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks for the advice Aaron!  Will definitely go SPOG (simple and good).  I'll do as you suggested and cook whole.  If I separate at 190* IT should I just re-foil the flat and throw it back on to 205*?  Tbh I'm looking forward to the burnt ends as much as the rest :)

 

Quote:
 

I just did a 7+ lb. Brisket in the WSM 18.5

Richie

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/246237/bbq-guru-in-charge-of-brisket

 

I checked that out!  Thanks Richie... I hope mine looks that good when I'm done!  I'll cook at 250* as you did and start at 4 am.  Those twice baked potatoes looked awesome, may add that to the menu if I'm in charge of taters.  Looks like my first two mods are going to be the guru and a lid hinge.  You guys are awesome on here!  

 

Wish me luck and watch for my posts on Sunday!  

post #6 of 11

Yea i can see re-foiling the flat if you wanna foil and i would on WSM .take the point and cut out your burnt ends sauce them up and cook some more until they melt in your mouth like butter.  as for the flat i wouldn't stick to the 205 degree temp hard and fast do it by feel. its done when you can push a toothpick or a probe therm into it with very little to no resistance. that could be 198 IT or 207 IT just depends on the piece of meat.

 

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks Aaron... again, much appreciated!

 

Problem.. well not really.. but the brisket is heavier than I had planned.. almost 13#... You think I can do that in 12 hours if I keep her between 250-260*?

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post
 

Thanks Aaron... again, much appreciated!

 

Problem.. well not really.. but the brisket is heavier than I had planned.. almost 13#... You think I can do that in 12 hours if I keep her between 250-260*?

maybe depends on the meat. i would suggest running lower temps early in the smoke then crank it up when you wrap. you aren't adding any smoke through foil so cook it on a higher temp. Once through the stall and wrapped up then run like 290 or so and watch your IT with a probe therm /remote if you have one. dont forget to give your self a time to hold/rest the meat when you are done.

 

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbac View Post
 

maybe depends on the meat. i would suggest running lower temps early in the smoke then crank it up when you wrap. you aren't adding any smoke through foil so cook it on a higher temp. Once through the stall and wrapped up then run like 290 or so and watch your IT with a probe therm /remote if you have one. dont forget to give your self a time to hold/rest the meat when you are done.

 

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

I agree with Aaron go lower in the beginning,it will conserve some fuel,I have 2 butts in now and had to add some coal

Richie

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks Aaron and Richie!  Really appreciate it!  I'm nervous and pretty excited about it too!  

post #11 of 11
One thing to remember is when your trimming the fat off the brisket/prepping. You will probably lose a couple pounds depending how aggressive you are.
I just done an 11lb brisket yesterday. On at 7:00 pulled at 3:45. But I was smoking @250 and towards the end bumped it up to 275.
But every brisket is different...sounds like you have a good game plan. Good Luck!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › 10# Brisket on 18.5" WSM - Questions for vets