Originally Posted by metalmonkey
1. What is the best feature of your reverse flow smoker?
2. Why does reverse flow work the best in your opinion?
3. What is a good target price fora hobby grade RF smoker? Competition/commercial grade?
4. What is a good size for a hobby grade RF smoker? Competition/commercial grade?
Thanks in advance for your opinions!
1. The best feature is the holding temperature for a long time. once she gets hot she retains the heat and i don't have to have a blazing fire to run her at the temp i want to run. also the smoke go evenly over the meat and i don't get an over smoking/ just good flavor on my smoke.
2. reverse flow working well is science. can you get direct flow that works well? sure. but the reverse flow with the heat going underneath the food and then the smoke going above in the food in another direction combined with the fat sizzling on the baffle plate the whole time just makes good food.
3&4. i got what i consider a commercial grade manufactured hobby sized RF smoker. I got a little bigger smoker than what i needed and its made of 1/4" thick steel and is built like a tank made to last the rest of my life. I bought a 36" patio model of the lang. it weighs about 650 lbs but is easy to move around. its made in the USA with american steel and is just a good quality buy. i paid 1295 for her and i paid 400 for shipping for her. and both were worth every penny i paid. one of my favorite things to do is get up 5am saturday and fire up Black Betty(my smoker) and smoke something good on her! if you pay a couple hundred bucks you will be happy once when you buy her and feel the pain of a cheapo offset every time you use her. (been there) if you buy a good one you will feel the pain of the price once and enjoy the wonder of using an awesome smoker every time you fire her up.
My advice feel the pain once and spend a little extra and enjoy smoking right the rest of your life.
for commercial/competition smoker Lang has them from the 36 patio what i have all the way up to the 108 twin for a restaurant and everything in between. i highly recommend Lang smokers. they are fun to make wonderful food on.