or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Grilling Beef › sfprankster's (mis)adventures with Burnin' Beef-Tri Tip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

sfprankster's (mis)adventures with Burnin' Beef-Tri Tip - Page 2

post #21 of 32

Looks perfect. Nice job. I can get tri tip in NC from my local meat shop. 6.99 a pound. He's the only one I know here that carries them.

post #22 of 32

Looks great! Points for explaining "street corn". I was embarrassed to ask about it last time you mentioned it. Sounded like something I should already know :-)

The butcher/cutter thing sounds right. I've seen adds in groceries asking for experienced meat cutters.

post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Looks great nicely cooked perfect center.Points for making me hungry

Richie

 

Thanx!!!

 

I like them on the rare side. The farther I cut into it, the rarer it becomes. The thick end was 124* when I pulled it. The point end, closer to 130., even with the point tucked underneath to make the roast a little more even thickness overall.

 

Tri tip is another of the easy, go to cooks in our household. Even overcooked, it's a moist cut of meat.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelover View Post
 

Looks perfect. Nice job. I can get tri tip in NC from my local meat shop. 6.99 a pound. He's the only one I know here that carries them.

 

Thanx!!!

 

$6.99/lb is a tough one to swallow. I wait for the sales and buy them bulk. If not, Restaurant Depot regularly has them at a decent price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post
 

Looks great! Points for explaining "street corn". I was embarrassed to ask about it last time you mentioned it. Sounded like something I should already know :-)

The butcher/cutter thing sounds right. I've seen adds in groceries asking for experienced meat cutters.

 

Thanx!!!  

 

Don't be afraid to use a "hotter" chili powder on the corn. The sweetness will offset the heat. I use ancho because my gf can't handle the heat of the hotter chilies.

 

I still call someone that cuts/trims steaks from strips a butcher. A small market near us will cut anything you request, in any style. If there is a band saw in the meat department... 

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfprankster View Post

Initial slices...

Moist, juicy and a nice medium rare on the small end... 


  drool.gif:



Plated with my smashed potatoes and smoked onion gravy...

...and an ear of my street style corn...






I believe this could be a construed as a positive sign it turned out good...


looks like it was amazing. Do you use newspaper to start?
post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinadam View Post


looks like it was amazing. Do you use newspaper to start?

 

Thanx!!!

 

Saved the larger portion of the roast for this weekend's road trip... avatar3972_3.gif

 

 

 

For the fire starter, I use junk mail, old credit card/bank statements, newspaper, old bills, etc...

 

An alternative way of paper disposal, rather than using the paper shredder... :icon_redface: 

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfprankster View Post

Thanx!!!

Saved the larger portion of the roast for this weekend's road trip... avatar3972_3.gif



For the fire starter, I use junk mail, old credit card/bank statements, newspaper, old bills, etc...

An alternative way of paper disposal, rather than using the paper shredder... icon_redface.gif  
Looked Like It As White As THE Smoke Was. Guy I work with used to use paper until I gave him some tumbleweed starters and he is hooked. No ink going to the coal and starts quickly. If you see them in the store try some.
post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 

The plumes of white smoke gives my new neighbors an advance warning, and the chance to close up their doors/windows before the meat smells permeate the mountainside... :cool: 

 

We've already had neighbors roaming around the mountainside looking for the source of the smells I create... :rolleyes:

 

 

I give them all the same offer, you buy the meat and I'll smoke it... th_wsmsmile0ly.gif 

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfprankster View Post

The plumes of white smoke gives my new neighbors an advance warning, and the chance to close up their doors/windows before the meat smells permeate the mountainside... cool.gif  

We've already had neighbors roaming around the mountainside looking for the source of the smells I create... rolleyes.gif


I give them all the same offer, you buy the meat and I'll smoke it... th_wsmsmile0ly.gif  
rofl that's hilarious. I have people wondering what the smell is and now I have a fairly private patio which is very nice but I'd rather have the mountains!
post #29 of 32
I use pay 9+# for TT! That hurt but no longer, it's nice 2.99-3.45#. Tasty looking dinner!
post #30 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

I use pay 9+# for TT! That hurt but no longer, it's nice 2.99-3.45#. Tasty looking dinner!

 

Ouch!!! That's just painful to have to pay $9/lb for tri tip.

 

For $9/lb, I want filet mignon or rib steak... th_Slab_of_meat.gif

post #31 of 32

I will heading down to Ga. in a week,will check Sams' Club there

Richie

post #32 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

I will heading down to Ga. in a week,will check Sams' Club there

Richie

 

Best of luck!!!

 

They have to be available on the east coast somewhere.

 

Grab a case if you find them, once you try them, you'll be hooked. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Grilling Beef › sfprankster's (mis)adventures with Burnin' Beef-Tri Tip