or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Reverse Flow › RF Plate, Welded in or Removable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RF Plate, Welded in or Removable?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

If this has been answered before, please pardon my post and kindly redirect me. I'm fairly certain that this has been discussed within one of the build threads, but I have not been able to locate it.

 

My fabricator asked me if I want my reverse flow plate welded in place. My initial thought was "yes" as this would seal the edges against thermal leakage along the path under the plate. But then I got to thinking about how I would be able to season and clean underneath the plate once it is permanently installed.

 

Maybe I'm just over thinking.

 

Your insights and sage wisdom will be greatly appreciated. What do you think?

 

Thanks,

Tom

post #2 of 17

Weld angle iron at the proper height and place it on the angle...  If you have a drain planned, drop the drain through a hole in the CC...  leave it loose and then screw a ball valve on the drain pipe....

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks, Dave.

 

And, yes, the drain is in the plan.

 

Tom

post #4 of 17

Are you planning to "break the plate" so it has about 1/8-1/4" drop from the sides to the center...  then weld in a "dam" at the end opposite the FB ??   that will keep drippings in the center..

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was planning to leave it flat. But, with a grease dam.
post #6 of 17

If you leave it flat, grease "could" run to the edges...   "Although" the heat could solidify it...   If you do a bunch of pork butts, there will be LOTS of grease...   

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Valid and good point.

Breaking it sounds like the obvious choice as a dam all the way around adds unnecessary weight.

Thanks again, Dave.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
I met with the fabricator today. The suggested RF plate configuration has been incorporated.

Thanks.
Tom
post #9 of 17

We make ours removable. Weld angle or flat bar to inside of CC for plate to rest on. We put about a 1 inch drop in the angle/flat bar from FB end to the other

 

 

Gary

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks Gary!

That's pretty much what we planned, except...we're making the cart with adjustable height on the
"non-FB" end so I can drop it a tad to drain the drippin's. That way we can keep the RF plate level to maximize airflow.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLC View Post

Thanks Gary!

That's pretty much what we planned, except...we're making the cart with adjustable height on the
"non-FB" end so I can drop it a tad to drain the drippin's. That way we can keep the RF plate level to maximize airflow.

 

That's a great idea...  Not restricting air flow is very important for the performance of the smoker...

post #12 of 17

What size cooker are you building? I'm picking up a 250 gallon tank tomorrow morning. I know how you feel about wanting to utilize the info here without asking the same stuff over and over. I'm brand new and not wanting to get screamed at for that like some forums do...lol

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
 

What size cooker are you building? I'm picking up a 250 gallon tank tomorrow morning. I know how you feel about wanting to utilize the info here without asking the same stuff over and over. I'm brand new and not wanting to get screamed at for that like some forums do...lol

 

Randy, afternoon....  this build tutorial will give you the basics...   there's lots of nit pickin' stuff on other build threads...   check them all out for more ideas....

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/reverse-flow-smoker-how-to-calculate-build-tutorial

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post
 

 

Randy, afternoon....  this build tutorial will give you the basics...   there's lots of nit pickin' stuff on other build threads...   check them all out for more ideas....

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/reverse-flow-smoker-how-to-calculate-build-tutorial

Thanks! That'll get me started!

post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post

What size cooker are you building? I'm picking up a 250 gallon tank tomorrow morning. I know how you feel about wanting to utilize the info here without asking the same stuff over and over. I'm brand new and not wanting to get screamed at for that like some forums do...lol

We're building a 48" x 24" as our test platform. Once we get the learning curve behind us we're building an 8' on a trailer for cooking at festivals and such.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLC View Post


We're building a 48" x 24" as our test platform. Once we get the learning curve behind us we're building an 8' on a trailer for cooking at festivals and such.

Good luck with yours brother! I'm pretty excited about this. I've been cooking for years, but I was ruined 2 years ago by a chance encounter with a Lang RF 104" where I won 1st place in ribs at a contest here locally. I've been on the RF seeking trail since. I'm pretty mechanical and decided to take this route over the $5-7,000 option.

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks, Randy. Good luck with yours also.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Reverse Flow
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Reverse Flow › RF Plate, Welded in or Removable?