or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › New to the smoking world pls helpp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New to the smoking world pls helpp

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Ok here goes.  I just bought a Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smokehouse and I have never smoked before.  So i was going to start with a chicken.  I was going to use apple chips.  About how much chips should i use al togeater and how exactly should I start off getting the smoke ready?>   Thank gals and girls

post #2 of 13

I see this is your first post, so at your leisure would you swing by Roll Call & introduce yourself.

 

Then we can all give you a proper SMF welcome.

 

Your going to have to put a handful of chips in the chip loader every half hour or so to keep the smoke rolling.

 

Just start the smoker up & set it at 275, when it comes up to temp put the chicken in. 

 

Let chicken cook until Internal temp is 165 in the breast & 175 in the thigh.

 

Al

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
 

Ok here goes.  I just bought a Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smokehouse and I have never smoked before.  So i was going to start with a chicken.  I was going to use apple chips.  About how much chips should i use al togeater and how exactly should I start off getting the smoke ready?>   Thank gals and girls


Chicken is a good starting point, so is Cornish game hens. The owner of this forum has a website with recipes that could be helpful to you. It is www.smoking-meat.com

 

Also, use the search bar and look for AMNPS. This is a device that uses food grade pellets instead of wood chips. With the AMNPS, you put the pellets in the tray, get them lit properly, put it in the smoker and go about your business. No more of adding chips every 30 minutes or so.

 

Plus there are a lot more sections to this forum that could be helpful. I've looked up recipes and rubs here too.

 

Goldmine

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmine1965 View Post


Chicken is a good starting point, so is Cornish game hens. The owner of this forum has a website with recipes that could be helpful to you. It is www.smoking-meat.com

Also, use the search bar and look for AMNPS. This is a device that uses food grade pellets instead of wood chips. With the AMNPS, you put the pellets in the tray, get them lit properly, put it in the smoker and go about your business. No more of adding chips every 30 minutes or so.

Plus there are a lot more sections to this forum that could be helpful. I've looked up recipes and rubs here too.

Goldmine
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
So thisamnps will fit in my 30 inch. Master built. Electric smoker? And us there a link. I can go to. Thank. Sir
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post

So thisamnps will fit in my 30 inch. Master built. Electric smoker? And us there a link. I can go to. Thank. Sir

There might other folks on this board to correct me. But I think the guy who invented it and owns the AMNPS company designed it for the MES 30. I have a MES 30 too, model 20070910 and it fits perfectly in the bottom left on those two metal rods next to the chip tray/burner assembly.. I am pretty new to smoking myself and have never used the chips. I have only used the AMNPS.

 

The link is www.amazenproducts.com.

 

I have never had any personal dealings with the owner, but I hear he is responsive and helpful to people, especially those new to smoking.

 

 

 

Goldmine

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmine1965 View Post

There might other folks on this board to correct me. But I think the guy who invented it and owns the AMNPS company designed it for the MES 30. I have a MES 30 too, model 20070910 and it fits perfectly in the bottom left on those two metal rods next to the chip tray/burner assembly.. I am pretty new to smoking myself and have never used the chips. I have only used the AMNPS.

The link is www.amazenproducts.com.

I have never had any personal dealings with the owner, but I hear he is responsive and helpful to people, especially those new to smoking.



Goldmine
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post






I think I will try it. But there are several ones. Can you show me a pic of yours where I know which one works. Thanks
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post


I think I will try it. But there are several ones. Can you show me a pic of yours where I know which one works. Thanks


here is the link to the one I have.

 

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmine1965 View Post


here is the link to the one I have.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm



Sorry to keep bugging you. But with the one you showed me. I just feel it up and lay it at bottom of my smoker by the other chip pan
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post


Sorry to keep bugging you. But with the one you showed me. I just feel it up and lay it at bottom of my smoker by the other chip pan


No worries. ask away. Yes, you put in the amount of pellets you want. Each row will burn 3-4 hours. Once you have them properly lit, then you put them in the smoker and that is all there is to it. I would do a search in the forum about keeping the AMNPS lit. A lot of folks have trouble keeping them lit and there is some good advice on it in this forum. I am still playing around with it to get the best out of it. I still have trouble keeping it lit sometimes.

post #12 of 13

Hi, I have the MES 40, but they are pretty similar to the 30.  I will share a few things I have learned about getting a good smoke out of it.

 

Start with a full load of wood chips in the tray when you turn it on.  A full load is the the loader tube loosely filled to level with the sides. You want to start with the chips in because that initial heat cycle will have the heating element going for a long time which will be plenty to heat up those chips and start them smoldering and giving off smoke.  Then add about 1/3 load at a time whenever you see the smoke start to die off.  If you want to check on how it is doing, you can remove the loader tube and look inside to the chip tray.  There should always be some glowing wood chips in there.  They won't be glowing like coals in a camp fire but just a few tips glowing.  Those glowing chips will help the new chips you add to get smoking faster.  If you forget to add chips for a while and there isn't anything in there burning, it might take some time for the new chips to start smoking again. 

 

You will have to play around with how often to add chips as it will vary based on how open the top vent is and how hot you are smoking.  Typically for me, I add chips about every 30-60 minutes. 

 

I think you will find the MES to be pretty easy to use and after a couple smokes you will get the feel for how often to feed chips into it. 

post #13 of 13

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any question a member will answer. Here is a picture of a MES 30 with a AMNPS installed in a 20070910. Your basic starter smoker.

 

 

 

The first two show the bars to the left of the chip tray housing the third is the AMNPS installed. Full it will give you up to about 10-12 hours of good clean smoke. Wood chips tend to give you tom much smoke and need to be refilled every 30 minn. that is ok on some things but it is not on say a 3-12 hour smoke.AS I recall I was just going to put a little smoke on some steaks before grilling.   JTED

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › New to the smoking world pls helpp