or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Easy Prime Rib, Easy Meal Part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Easy Prime Rib, Easy Meal Part 2

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

As I said in my prior post, I wasn't feeling all that great when my brother came for a visit so I tried to simplify my meal. The main course was a prime rib. Just apply heat and eat. Well, I did use JJ's au jus method to make some nice gravy too.

 

Here is the beast to be cooked. I had to mortgage my house but it was a nice piece of beef.

 

 

I cut up 3 carrots, 2 stalks of celery, 1/2 large onion, 3 cloves of garlic and put them in a roasting pan.

 

I rubbed Some Louisiana Grills Mesquite Rub & Grill on the beast and put it on a rack over the vegetables.

 

 

I put the roast and pan on my pellet grill preheated to 350 F.

 

 

After 1 hour, I added 1 1/2 cups beef broth to the roasting pan.

 

 

Here is where I have a tale of woe. She Who Must Be Obeyed and my sister in law like their beef well done. It was two husbands against two wives so rare was out of the question due to the extreme imbalance of power. I cooked to an internal temperature of 135 (about 2 1/2 hours) over pecan smoke. I wrapped the beast in foil to rest.

 

I put the liquid and vegetables in a saucepan and added 1 1/2 cups of beef stock, 1/2 cup of red wine and 1 tablespoon of ketchup.

 

 

 

I simmered the vegetables for 15 minutes and strained the liquid off.

 

 

I used a turkey baster to pull the liquid from under the fat that had risen to the top.

 

 

I melted 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan and mixed in 3 tablespoons of flour to make a roux.

 

 

I added the liquid and cooked it for about 5 minutes to thicken and cook out the flour.

 

 

Here it is carved.

 

 

Plated with roast potatoes and some coleslaw.

 

 

The Verdict

 

Even though the beef was cooked more than I like, it was very moist, incredibly tender and had just the right amount of smoke.

 

This is the first time I have tried JJ's au jus method but it won't be the last. I will put a couple of my own tweaks on it but it is very good. You must try it.

 

Disco

post #2 of 10

Looks Mighty Tasty from The Bear Den!!:drool

 

Nice Job Disco!!Thumbs Up

 

I know everybody loved it !!:sausage:  Points

 

Bear

post #3 of 10
Looks like another awesome cook Disco ! Very nice ! icon14.gif
post #4 of 10

Wonderful meal my good friend. Here in Texas we typically don't gravy a slice of meat like that. 

 However it looks awesome.! point to you! b

post #5 of 10
Looks tasty,nothing wrong with gravy if you ask me!biggrin.gif
post #6 of 10

Oh my goodness, I would love to have a thick slice of that!     Looks delicious Disco.     I hope you are feeling much better.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSkelly View Post
 

Wonderful meal my good friend. Here in Texas we typically don't gravy a slice of meat like that. 

 However it looks awesome.! point to you! b


Thanks, Brian. I will make sure to look sheepish the next time I'm in Texas. My Irish Canadian heritage put gravy on all beef roasts.

 

Disco

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

Looks Mighty Tasty from The Bear Den!!:drool

 

Nice Job Disco!!Thumbs Up

 

I know everybody loved it !!:sausage:  Points

 

Bear

 

Thanks, Bear. It was tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Looks like another awesome cook Disco ! Very nice ! icon14.gif

I appreciate that, Justin.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Looks tasty,nothing wrong with gravy if you ask me!biggrin.gif

Har. It is what you're used to. I was in a steak house in Mexico. They perfectly cooked a great portherhouse and then smothered it in gravy. I had to admit that shocked me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
 

Oh my goodness, I would love to have a thick slice of that!     Looks delicious Disco.     I hope you are feeling much better.

I am close to healed, thanks. I think I need more smoking and beer.

post #9 of 10

​I have to stop watching TV early I missed this yesterday and almost missed it today.That is one simple meal I would devour Perfect for me

Richie

 

:points: 

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

​I have to stop watching TV early I missed this yesterday and almost missed it today.That is one simple meal I would devour Perfect for me

Richie

 

:points: 


Thanks for the points, Richie. Even in our ill state, this was very tasty. JJ's au jus recipe is great.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Easy Prime Rib, Easy Meal Part 2