2 large red peppers
8-10 medium tomatoes (3-3 1/2 lbs)
2 celery stalks
Large yellow onion (can use Vidalia and skip 1/8 tsp sugar)
1Tbs tomato paste
1Tbs fresh basil thinly sliced
2 pints vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp regular paprika
1/8 tsp sugar
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme (I used Zatar, a roasted middle eastern thyme)
1Tbs Arborio rice
Salt/pepper to taste
1. In small foil container, brush whole red peppers with olive oil
2. Cut each tomato into fourths, remove core, drizzle with olive oil
3. Put tomatoes, whole carrots, whole celery stalk in large foil pan
4. 4 oz. mesquite, smoke @250 for 2.5 hours
1. Remove the skin and seeds from tomatoes, red peppers. Dice all vegetables keeping the juices as much as possible.
2. In stock pot, melt butter. Cook diced opinion and thinly diced garlic to lucency. Add tomato paste.
3. Add smoked vegetables and vegetable broth. Stir in dry spices. Add rice and water.
4. Simmer 30 minutes, remove bay leaf.
5. Using immersion blender, purée. (May strain and then purée solids, putting them
6. Serve hot or cold, garnish with Basil leaf