It's been a while since I've smoked anything or I posted, so I'm trying to "re-learn" everything and read through all the stickys to make sure I've got everything down. The last time I smoked, I had bought the "new" A-MAZE-N sawdust tray...and now I just upgraded to the pellet version...I have the previous model of the MES-40.
So, I'm planning on smoking two 9 pound butts (for pulled pork) on Sunday for our Easter dinner, which starts at 3.
Here's my plan, please tell me if I'm missing a step of if everything I remember is true.
1. "Rub" my meat Friday night, wrap in saran wrap and place in the fridge.
2. I'm guessing at 1.5 hours p/pound + a 1 hour resting period, I'm looking at 15-19 hours of total cooking time. So, since we want to eat at 3, I'm guessing I need to start cooking these somewhere between 8pm and 12am on Saturday. I'm leaning more towards starting to cook around 9 in case there is a long stall.
3. Take meat out of the refrigerator at 8pm. Pre-heat smoker (set to 225).
4. Put in pellets (hickory and cherry). Put in foil wrapped water tray (no water) and drip pan on bottom of rack. Open pellet tray about a 1/4" for air movement.
5. Put meat in smoker (fat cap down) at 9pm.
6. Around 8am insert temperature probe and bump temperature up to 240.
7. Pull, wrap in foil, wrap in towel and put in cooler when internal temperature reaches 200.
Okay, so am I missing anything and should this work?
A couple of questions I am searching for (not sure if it matters much)...
Should I put the meat on two separate racks, or put them both on the same one?
Mixing 2 different types of pellets (hickory and cherry), is that a dumb idea?
**It looks like it may rain on Sunday morning, I just plan on using a patio umbrella to cover the smoker. Not calling for much wind and temps in the 40's overnight, so I'm hoping it doesn't mess with my temperatures too much.
Thank you for any suggestions/advice I may get.
Thank your for the help, both butts are in the smoker now. I'll be posting pictures in a few...
Edited by Hunter1979 - 3/26/16 at 7:19pm