SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Prime Rib ( Hickory Smoke MMMmmmm)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prime Rib ( Hickory Smoke MMMmmmm)

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Prime Rib ( Hickory Smoke--MMMmmmm )

Big Time Score !!!
Right when I was thinking about getting one of the frozen “Choice” Rib Roasts out of my Meat Freezer, we got the new “Giant” sale flyer.
I couldn’t believe it when I saw “Standing Rib Roast (Choice) for $4.99”.
I checked & saw that I still had 5 of the 6 I had just bought during Christmas week (at $7.99), so I only got 3 more at this Awesome Price.
The last time we had that $4.99 price around here was more than 4 years ago!

So I cut the Bones off of all 3 roasts (leaving some extra meat on the bones), and saved them for a soon to be done Beef Rib Smoke.

Then I vacuum packed & froze two of the Roasts, and kept a 5 pounder out for the Smoke I’m doing here.

This will be about a 5 pound Prime Rib that the bones have been removed from.*
I will be using Hickory Sawdust, as usual.
I will be again smoking with a Smoker Temp of 220°, so I can get the same Perfect Tender Medium Rare Pink Beef from Bark to Bark as always.

So Here We Go:

Day #1 (Prepping):
Rinse, Dry, and cut a block pattern through the fat cap to the meat. Then give it a good coat of *Worcestershire “Thick”, and put it on a Wire Cooling Rack, in a Foil Pan. Then apply some CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Then cover it with Plastic wrap, and put it in my fridge until Next Day Smoking Time. I used to add some Sea Salt at this time, but I cut way back on Sodium since a Dr ruined my Kidneys (among other things).

Note:*Worcestershire “Thick” is now sold under the label “Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce”.

Next Day (Smoking Time):
11:00—————Preheat MES 40 to 220°.
11:30—————Fill 1 1/3 rows of AMNS with Hickory Dust, and light one end.
11:45—————Put Smoking AMNS on left side of Smoking Rack in bottom position, just above empty water pan.
12:00—————Put Roast on wire cooling rack, in foil pan, on Smoking Rack in 2nd Position of 6 position smoker.
2:30—————-Wipe my clean Meat probe with an alcohol wipe & insert in center of Roast. Internal Temp is at 115°.
3:00—————-129° IT (Add another half row of Hickory Dust to my AMNS)
3:45—————-138° IT——Cut heat back to 140° and open door to get heat down to 160° quickly.
4:30—————-142° IT——Remove Prime Rib from Smoker.

Slice, plate, add sides, Take Pics, and Eat.

Note: Putting Prime Rib Roast on a wire cooling rack in a foil pan does not show any loss of smoke flavor, and makes for less clean-up needed.



Thanks For Looking,

Bear







Best Price I had in over 4 years @ $4.99 per pound for Choice Standing Rib:





Here’s a shot of two of them, before I removed the Bones:





Ready for the Smoker:





My MES 40 Awaits:





My AMNS with Hickory Dust is Smoking Nicely & Ready to go:





Maverick Probe in position suspended to just below Rack #2:





And We’re off———View Through the Looking Glass:





Time to remove from Smoker:





Ready for slicing:





I took this picture to show why I don’t need Au Jus when I smoke Prime Rib at 220°——Very little juice leaves the roast:





Before Slicing:





Center Right for Bear——Center Left for Mrs Bear——The rest is Leftovers:





Lots of Awesome Leftovers ALL for the Bear:





Bear’s Supper, with Leftover in the back:





Close-up of Bear’s Supper:





One more View:





All the leftovers:





Next morning’s Breakfast in the Pan:





Breakfast is served:

Edited by Bearcarver - 4/13/16 at 2:33pm
post #2 of 28

When I seen the date I thought I was late for the party LOL, I could go for a slice of that looks like it was cooked for me.Steak and Eggs for breakfast yum Points

Richie

post #3 of 28

Looks absolutely YUMMY John.  jaw-dropping.gif

 

 

What a great smoke and meal!!  I would be more than happy to settle for the "leftovers"--they would look just fine sitting on MY plate.

 

And to top it off, steak and eggs for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!

 

No question about it.....................points1.png

 

Gary

post #4 of 28

Wow, that does look great! PR is one of my top 3 cuts. Nice job!

post #5 of 28

And I just thought your PR's couldn't any better. Another Grand slam by the Bear ---  I mean Prime Rib King    Last I bought was $6.99 lb  that's a good buy

 

Thumbs Up     points1.png

 

 

Gary

post #6 of 28
Looks great Bear.

I am heading to giant tomorrow to get some if you didn't buy all of them. Lol
post #7 of 28
Looks great, nice big slice must of filled you up right!
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

When I seen the date I thought I was late for the party LOL, I could go for a slice of that looks like it was cooked for me.Steak and Eggs for breakfast yum Points

Richie

 

Thank You Richie!!

And Thanks for the Points!!

 

Bear

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHibbert View Post
 

Looks absolutely YUMMY John.  jaw-dropping.gif

 

 

What a great smoke and meal!!  I would be more than happy to settle for the "leftovers"--they would look just fine sitting on MY plate.

 

And to top it off, steak and eggs for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!

 

No question about it.....................points1.png

 

Gary

 

Thanks a Bunch, Gary!!

 

And Thanks for the Points!

 

Bear

post #9 of 28
Nice smoke Bear, and on my birthday no less!

Points!
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Nice smoke Bear, and on my birthday no less!

Points!

 

Happy Birthday and many, many more.  Hope you had a wonderful Day

 

Gary

post #11 of 28
Looks dang tasty Bear ! icon14.gif
post #12 of 28

Great job, Bear!

 

As always!!

 

Tried to give points, but once again it said I'm over my limit.  :th_crybaby2:

 

Really like the steak & eggs!

 

Al

post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneeley490 View Post
 

Wow, that does look great! PR is one of my top 3 cuts. Nice job!

 

Thanks.

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

And I just thought your PR's couldn't any better. Another Grand slam by the Bear ---  I mean Prime Rib King    Last I bought was $6.99 lb  that's a good buy

 

Thumbs Up     points1.png

 

 

Gary

 

Thank You Gary!!

Yup---I couldn't believe the $4.99 Price on these!!!

The ones I got in December were $7.99 !!! And that was on Sale!!

 

And Thanks for the Compliments & Points!!

 

Bear

post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Looks great Bear.

I am heading to giant tomorrow to get some if you didn't buy all of them. Lol

 

Thank You Adam!!

We only bought 3 hunks---6 pounds each, but my Son said he was going to get 10 of them.

 

And Thanks for the Points!

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Looks great, nice big slice must of filled you up right!

Thanks b-one !

Yes it did, but I get filled up a lot easier than I used to.

 

Bear

post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Nice smoke Bear, and on my birthday no less!

Points!

Thank You Case!!

Happy Belated Birthday Too!!!

 

And Thanks for the Points!!

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

Great job, Bear!

 

As always!!

 

Tried to give points, but once again it said I'm over my limit.  :th_crybaby2:

 

Really like the steak & eggs!

 

Al

 

Thanks

post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Looks dang tasty Bear ! icon14.gif


Thank You Justin!!

 

And Thanks for the Points!!

 

Bear

post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Looks great Bear.

I am heading to giant tomorrow to get some if you didn't buy all of them. Lol


Saw your Thread-----Looks like you did pretty good on the Prices!!

 

Bear

post #18 of 28

Man, I don't know how I missed this. I follow you, Bear, but this did not show up!

 

What a nice piece of beef and, as usual, great qview.

 

Points.

 

Disco

post #19 of 28
awesome stuff!
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Man, I don't know how I missed this. I follow you, Bear, but this did not show up!

 

What a nice piece of beef and, as usual, great qview.

 

Points.

 

Disco


Thank You Mr Disco!!!

Kind of you to say!

 

And Thanks for the Points!

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Prime Rib ( Hickory Smoke MMMmmmm)