or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Recipes Only › Breads › Sourdough Cheese Biscuits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sourdough Cheese Biscuits

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I don't often post the food I make that isn't smoked but these biscuits turned out so well, I had to share.

 

If you don't have a sourdough starter, tsk. Start one!

 

The ingredients are:

 

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cold butter
1 cup sourdough starter
1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

 

I mixed the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.

 

 

I cut the butter in with a pastry blender until there were pea size chunks of butter.

 

 

I mixed the sourdough starter in until I had a ragged dough.

 

 

I turned the dough onto a floured counter and pressed it flat. I spread the cheese over the dough. I folded the dough in half and pressed down. I rotated the dough 1/4 turn and pressed down. I repeated turning and pressing down until I had pressed down 10 times.

 

 

 

 

I flattened the dough to 3/4 inch thick and cut it with a biscuit cutter.

 

 

I put them on an ungreased cookie sheet and baked at 425 for 12 to 15 minutes (I took all 15 this time).

 

 

 

Take them off the baking sheet with a spatula.

 

Here is the final shot before this biscuit mysteriously disappeared.

 

 

The Verdict

 

Sourdough and cheese just go together. These biscuits had a great texture and the flavour of the cheese made them incredible. I will be making the best breakfast sandwiches from this recipe.

 

Disco

post #2 of 11

Disco they look great the melted butter gave you a point. I haven't tried to make a sourdough culture,so something for me to look up thanks

Richie

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Disco they look great the melted butter gave you a point. I haven't tried to make a sourdough culture,so something for me to look up thanks

Richie


Thanks for the point, Richie. Making a sourdough starter is easy, if I can do it, anyone can. The easiest way is to get a cup from a friend who already has a starter. If you want to know how to do it from scratch, let me know.

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

 

Here is the final shot before this biscuit mysteriously disappeared.

 

 

 

I guess that makes them "magic" sourdough biscuits!!!!!  They "magically" disappear just like that.   

 

Looks great.  I wish I had starter culture and could give this a try also

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
 

 

I guess that makes them "magic" sourdough biscuits!!!!!  They "magically" disappear just like that.   

 

Looks great.  I wish I had starter culture and could give this a try also


Thanks for the kind words. The biscuits do indeed disappear.

 

If you ask your friends it may surprise you how many have a starter and would be willing to give you a cup.

post #6 of 11
Great thread Disco, them sure look tasty ! I wish I could bake & had a start of that !
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Great thread Disco, them sure look tasty ! I wish I could bake & had a start of that !

Har! If I can bake, anyone can! Thanks for the kind words.

 

Disco

post #8 of 11

Great lookin bibbits. Every time I ever tried cheese bibbits, all the oil from the cheese dropped out and they were not so good. Is the sour dough the difference or do you have some magic up your sleeve?

post #9 of 11
Okay now I have to make biscuits tonight!

Looks great!

Points!
post #10 of 11

Awesome looking biscuits Disco!!

 

I'm sitting here thinking how many ways I could eat those.

 

Eggs, sausage, bacon. 

 

But with just butter they look delicious!!

 

:points:

 

Al

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Great lookin bibbits. Every time I ever tried cheese bibbits, all the oil from the cheese dropped out and they were not so good. Is the sour dough the difference or do you have some magic up your sleeve?

They turned out fine. I am guessing there are two reasons. First, I grated the cheese so that it was quite coarse. It seems to melt in place and throw less oil into the biscuit. See this picture, the cheese is melted in pieces.


Also, sourdough biscuits are a bit more bread like than regular biscuits, they are a touch chewier. Therefore, I think the dough stands up to the cheese better than the lighter biscuit batter.

 

As I say, these are just guesses but the biscuits are great anyway.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Okay now I have to make biscuits tonight!

Looks great!

Points!

 

Har! I thought I was the only one who would see a picture of food and immediately want it.

 

Thanks for the point, Case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post
 

Awesome looking biscuits Disco!!

 

I'm sitting here thinking how many ways I could eat those.

 

Eggs, sausage, bacon. 

 

But with just butter they look delicious!!

 

:points:

 

Al

I'm way ahead of you, Al. Here are the sausage biscuits I had for breakfast today.


Thanks for the points!

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breads
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Recipes Only › Breads › Sourdough Cheese Biscuits